Woolly Pocket’s new Living Wall Planter
- The leaves may be turning outside, but these living walls are evergreen.
- How will the product impact the workplace?
- How does the product contribute to “new ways of working”?
- Can you tell us about a client who has used the product effectively?
- Who was the designer of the product?
- What was the inspiration behind the product?
- When was the product introduced?
- What do you think our readers will love about the product?
- What is the price?
- Anything else notable about the product that we ought to know?
- Related posts:
Woolly Pocket’s new Living Wall Planter
After listening to its customers, Woolly Pocket has gone back to the drawing board and designed the new Living Wall Planter, which is less wool-like than the original soft-sided Wally pocket planters.
The forthcoming Living Wall Planter has a vented-shell design made of hard recycled plastic and equipped with a self-watering tank. Woolly Pocket founder Miguel Nelson said the new planter will be easier to hang, water and grow vertical gardens.
“As strange as it may sound, many of our garden center customers actually wished Wally looked more like a planter,” Nelson said. “That was a tough one for us to swallow, but we finally realized that in order to truly inspire the world to have more fun with plants, we needed to offer styles that suited more of the world.”
Wally fans, fear not. Many of the original features remain: The new planter is modular, works indoors and out, is made in the United States and is free of Bisphenol A, or BPA. The original Wally will still be available for those who prefer a soft, felt-like planter, particularly for “challenging, uneven wall surfaces or chain link fences,” Nelson said.
The new Living Wall Planter is $26.99 and comes in white, green, brown, gray, black, orange and yellow. It will be available on the Woolly Pocket website and in stores starting in early October. Until then, you can take a longer look at the Woolly Pocket blog.
For an easy way to follow our marketplace coverage, join us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
The leaves may be turning outside, but these living walls are evergreen.
An office lobby with a bold, leafy touch. Image courtesy of Woolly Pocket.
Woolly Pocket was recently recognized by the Industrial Designers Society of America for their modular wall planter, which allows to you create plant installations — on a grand or tiny scale — in your office. Ahead of Greenbuild 2015 and as summer turns to fall, we reached out to the creators to find out more about the product that will keep your office green, all year round.
A common space on a balcony featuring the wall planters. Image courtesy of Woolly Pocket.
How will the product impact the workplace?
Woolly Pocket products allow for a greener workplace. The modular wall planters help create natural indoor environments and are a great way to add greenery to unexpected places. Vertical gardens are ideal for larger, climate-controlled office campuses and are a smart solution for smaller workplaces where floor space is limited. And for offices that have common outdoor areas, living wall gardens can help create an idyllic setting.
Woolly Pocket can also be part of the larger, biophilic design conversation, which pushes for natural systems (i.e. natural air, natural light, and natural materials) in the built environment, recognizing that nature’s positive impacts are critical to overall health, performance and well-being. There has been some research regarding biophilic design within office spaces that demonstrates improvements to productivity and reported well-being. Human Spaces recently published a paper titled “Global Research into Biophilic Design” which highlights the impact of this design approach in the workspace.
A Woolly Pocket installation at Snog Productions in downtown LA. Image courtesy of Woolly Pocket.
How does the product contribute to “new ways of working”?
Woolly Pocket products allow for beautiful looking common spaces that may be more inviting to employees than a room with bare walls. These attractive spaces might entice workers to gather more often and from these gatherings, impromptu and creative collaboration can happen. And for the more progressive offices where cooking meals together is encouraged, a living wall boasting herbs, vegetables and other edibles, can help with team building, better nutrition and a sense of community.
Can you tell us about a client who has used the product effectively?
The award-winning ad agency, 72 and Sunny, installed a beautiful living wall in the lobby of their Los Angeles headquarters. The architectural firm, Lean Arch, Inc., transformed the space — two buildings that were the former offices of film mogul Howard Hughes — into a light-filled collaborative environment. The communal space where the Woolly Pocket wall was erected not only encourages employees to work freely, but also adds an element of style and seamlessly brings the outdoors in.
Who was the designer of the product?
The newest Woolly Pocket product, the Living Wall Planter 2 (LWP2), was designed in partnership with Branch Creative. The Branch Creative team included Josh Morenstein, Nick Cronan, Matt Malone, Scott Ross, and Drew Putterman.
What was the inspiration behind the product?
Woolly Pocket’s motto is “Have more Fun with Plants” which is really the inspiration behind the product.
When was the product introduced?
Wally, the first product iteration, was introduced in 2008. Last year, we started rolling out the LWP2, the third iteration following the LWP1.
Image courtesy of Woolly Pocket.
What do you think our readers will love about the product?
Readers will love the ease of use and the price. It is now even easier and more affordable to create a vertical wall garden. To create a beautiful living wall, follow these four easy steps:
- Step 1: Simply attach hook to wall or fence and hang planter up.
- Step 2: Fill planter with your favorite plants and soil up to soil level line. Hand water thoroughly to prime planter and establish roots.
- Step 3: Hang the planter by sliding the planter on the tank hooks The rounded compact shape makes LWP2 easier to hold, lift and hang.
- Step 4: Water using the self-watering tank. Simply fill LWP2’s integrated watering well with approximately one liter of water and keep plants watered for up to two weeks (depending on climate and species). Drip irrigation is available for larger installations.
What is the price?
A single LWP2 planyer retails for $18.99 and a LWP2 four pack retails at $59.99 with free shipping at woollypocket.com. Trade and wholesale pricing also available.
Anything else notable about the product that we ought to know?
The LWP2 recently won the bronze award for outdoor & garden category from The Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA). The award is a nod to how easy the LWP2 is to install and use.
- Simple to hang: Mount hooks to wall or fence and hangs planter up. Vertical gardening has never been simpler
- Easy to hold: A rounded compact shape makes Living Wall Planter 2 easier to hold, lift and hang. It is also easier on the eyes and more graceful on the wall
- Easy watering: Simply fill Living Wall Planter 2’s integrated watering channel with approximately one liter of water and keep plants watered for up to two weeks (depending on climate and species). LWP2’s basin functions as a water-conserving channel that allows roots to drink from the bottom while breathing through the sides
- Stronger, healthier roots: Living Wall Planter 2 is vented front and back, allowing roots to breathe, increasing evaporation, and minimizing overwatering
- Indoors and out: Living Wall Planter 2 works beautifully indoors and out. Because the sides breathe, the bottom does not need drainage, which means floors and walls stay dry indoors
- Professional living walls: Living Wall Planter 2 isn’t only great for beginners; it’s the best choice for professionals. Professional features include: advanced automatic irrigation options, sturdy, extreme-weather HDPE2 shell, off-site planting options, and quick, no-hassle plant swapping
- All kind of plants: Just about any kind of plant can thrive in LWP2, especially plants that typically grow in containers like native perennials, flowering annuals, succulents, tropical house plants, organic herbs, and other edibles
- Stand up: Why should your walls have all the fun? Living Wall Planter 2 looks and work beautifully tabletop and countertop. So, bring kitchen herbs out to the picnic or garden flowers indoors for the party. LWP2 stands up, so vertical gardeners can now efficiently plant on a horizontal surface, like a potting bench or the ground. No messier, awkward planting on ladders. Professionals can plant off-site and then bring their pre-planted LWP2s to hang, cutting their on-site installation time in half
- Extra green: Woolly Pocket makes Living Wall Planter 2 in California from 100% post-consumer recycled milk jugs (HDPE 2). Not only does California have strict environmental laws, but HDPE 2 is also known to be one of the safest plastics for food contact (growling yummy organic edibles) and contains no traceable amounts of Phthalates or BPA
- Zip tie to chain link: Standard zip ties slide right through slots in LWP2’s wall hook
- Make shapes: Plants aren’t rectangular; so, why should living walls be? LWP2’s rounded shape looks great in both a regular grid and also an offset grid pattern. This means living walls can be organically shaped forms and circles
- Improved modularity: LWP2 can be used densely on a 10” high by 12” wide grid, which means the densest, lushest planting from the get-go. It can also be used on more generous 12” by 12” grid for greater coverage and lower cost per square foot
- Soil volume: 0.25 cubic feet
- Plant capacity: (2) 6” Plants and (1) 8” plant
- Max weight: 30 lbs