- Pictures of Lily
- Oriental Tree Lily Care: Information On Growing Tree Lily Bulbs
- What is a Tree Lily?
- Growing Tree Lilies
- Oriental Tree Lily Care
- Botanists create a ‘Tree Lily’ that grows up to 8ft tall
- Lilium ‘Purple Prince’ (Lily ‘Purple Prince’)
- Create your free Shoot garden
- How to care
- Get access to monthly care advice
- Where to grow
- Defra’s Risk register #1
- Defra’s Risk register #2
- Defra’s Risk register #3
- Lilies: Planting Depth and Distance
Pictures of Lily
“When you think about elusive beauty, nothing compares to an Easter lily,” sounds like a trite statement. But it’s true. To portray such a serene creation as innocent would be naive. The subject comes up because California’s facing another environmental crisis. This time, there’s a flower with a target on its back—the Easter lily.
We start in Del Norte County, California, population: 767. Exhilaration flows when you locate a secluded place for daydream believers. The scenery is pure National Geographic cover material: fragrant air, protected by a bay, soaring redwood forests, hugged by the Pacific Ocean. Smith River is “California Dreamin’.” Of course, that’s only when everyone’s not busy working.
There’s an 800-acre valley next to the Oregon border that’s home to five horticultural farms owned by four families. Every year, the farms provide the world with something remarkable. They produce 95 percent of the world’s 14 million Easter lily bulbs. Smith River is known as the “Easter Lily Capital of the World.”
In 1919, Louis Houghton, a veteran and agriculturalist, collected a suitcase full of hybrid bulbs from Japan. When he returned home to southern Oregon, Houghton shared the flowers among friends and fellow gardeners. The lilies thrived in the region’s fertile, micro-climate.
A florist staple, the trumpet-shaped white lily is indigenous to Japan’s southern Ryukyu Islands. The Japanese held the thriving US lily export market until World War 2. After Pearl Harbor, trade ended, and lilies became scarce. Cottage industry growers saw an opportunity; calling the lilies “white gold.”
Over time, Smith River area bulbs were deemed religiously beautiful. In fact, the superior Del Norte County product wiped-out competition—inferior farms disappeared.
“Consider the lilies, how they grow” (Luke 12:27). Saint Luke knew a thing or two about the lily’s problem: they’re slow growers. Imagine the drawbacks if you had to spend your life buried in moist, rich soil for three to four years. There’s non-stop, labor-intensive cultivation. Hungry rodents, nematodes, and root rot make for trouble too.
Under these conditions, a lifestyle of stress defines the lily. Bulbs are dug up, divided, pruned, and replanted several times. The boxed harvest is shipped to greenhouses for controlled environment force blooming. Forty days of refrigeration is required to create a “fake” winter.
Flowers are always in high demand during holidays, so shipment and scheduling are crucial. There’s just a narrow, two-week sales window before Easter arrives. Despite the difficulties, the market for Easter lilies remains steady each year.
The spirit of Easter revolves around celebrating the Earth’s rejuvenation at spring. It’s also when children expect a basket full of candy from the Easter bunny. Remember kids, putting a chocolate bunny on a radiator to keep it warm—not a good idea.
The white lily fits into part of this tradition. Easter is a movable holiday with a complicated date setting process based on the Paschal full moon. The calendar dates can vary. Easter can fall on a different Sunday each year, anytime from March 22 to April 25. This year Easter falls on April 21.
Let’s take a moment to contemplate all the myth surrounding the lily’s everlasting role in history. There’s a lot to “consider.” Images of lilies first appeared in ancient Crete as a fertility symbol. In Greek and Roman mythology, wily Zeus tricked queen of the gods Hera to suckle young Hercules. The baby super-god was a hard-biter. Hera’s spilled milk sprayed across the sky and became the Milky Way, while Earthbound droplets became lilies. Neat, always wondered how that happened.
Venus, goddess of love emerged from sea foam. Her eyes fixed upon lily’s beauty and turned green. Venus cursed the flower, causing a large pistil to grow in the flower’s center.
Lilies are core to Christianity and the Bible, symbolizing hope, love and the resurrection of Christ. When expelled from The Garden Eden, lilies sprung from Eve’s tears. Lilies were found in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before Christ’s agony. Lilies grew from the Lord’s blood, sweat and tears during his crucifixion.
Known as the Madonna Lily, several religious paintings show the Archangel Gabriel handing the Virgin Mary white lilies, symbolizing her virtue and purity. And, lilies convey a return to innocence after death, explaining the flower’s popularity around a casket.
During the Victorian past, clergy removed a lily’s reproductive parts before altar placement. Religious types deemed the measure appropriate to prevent any sensual experiences from happening at gatherings. The tale and life of Lilium longiflorum may suggest perfection, but that’s not true. In January 2018, California State reported high pollution levels in the Smith River. Lilies require large amounts of pesticides. According to The Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen’s Associations, “Growers use nearly 300,000 pounds of fumigants, herbicides, and fungicides yearly in the estuary.”
California findings also show there’s a significant threat for migrating salmon. Some farm experts say it’s impossible to grow a bulb in the ground for years without bugs or fungus.
Pesticide use is a touchy subject. Part of the lily’s prosperity has to do with the inert nature of its cultivation. And here’s where the irresistible flower presents a challenge. On one hand, California officials, alongside environmental activists, have pollution concerns. On the other, lily growers are making compliance efforts to restructure within the laws. The floriculture industry stands in question, which is understandable because the livelihoods of farmers are at stake in this thin-margin business.
As the sun grows hot in Smith River—the lilies continue to bloom. After all, everyone wants white lilies for Easter. Gardens overflow with blossoms on Easter Sunday. A mysterious, delicate fragrance drifts throughout the church. Upon further investigation, an altar boy discovers the scent’s source.
A statue of the Virgin Mary is surrounded by dozens of fragrant Easter lilies in full bloom. The curious youth takes note of the “pretty things” recalling, “To gild a lily is to attempt, foolishly, to improve on perfection.” And most likely, the lilies came from Smith River.
Oriental Tree Lily Care: Information On Growing Tree Lily Bulbs
Oriental tree lilies are a hybrid cross between Asiatic and Oriental lilies. These hardy perennials share the best traits of both species—big, beautiful blooms, vibrant color and rich, sweet fragrance. Keep reading to learn more tree lily info.
What is a Tree Lily?
Growing tree lilies are tall and the stalks are large but, in spite of the name, they are not trees; they are herbaceous (non-woody) plants that die down at the end of each growing season.
Average height of an tree lily is 4 feet, although some varieties may reach heights of 5 to 6 feet and sometimes more. The plant is available in bold colors such as red, gold and burgundy, as well as pastel shades of peach, pink, pale yellow and white.
Growing Tree Lilies
Tree lilies require similar growing conditions as most other lilies in the garden – well-drained soil and full or partial sunlight. The plant grows in USDA plant hardiness zones 4 through 8, and may tolerate warmer climates in zones 9 and 10.
Plant tree lily bulbs in autumn for blooms the following summer. Plant the bulbs 10 to 12 inches deep and allow 8 to 12 inches between each bulb. Water the bulbs deeply after planting.
Oriental Tree Lily Care
Water your tree lilies regularly throughout the growing season. The soil should not be soggy, but it should never be completely dry.
Tree lilies generally require no fertilizer; however, if the soil is poor, you can feed the plant a balanced garden fertilizer when shoots emerge in spring and again about a month later. If you prefer, you can use a slow-release fertilizer early in the growing season.
Withhold water when the blooms die but leave the foliage in place until they turn yellow and are easy to pull. Never pull the leaves if they are still attached to the bulb because the foliage absorbs energy from the sun that nourishes the bulbs for the next year’s blooms.
Tree lilies are cold hardy, but if you live in a chilly climate, a thin layer of mulch will protect the new shoots from spring frost. Limit mulch to 3 inches or less; a thicker layer attracts hungry slugs.
Tree lily vs. Orienpets
While often referred to as Orienpets, there are slight differences in the these lily plant varieties. Oriental tree lily plants, as previously stated, are an Asiatic and Oriental lily hybrid. Orientpet lilies, also known as OT lilies, are a cross between oriental and trumpet lily types. And then there is the Asiapet lily, which is a cross between an Asiatic and trumpet lily.
Botanists create a ‘Tree Lily’ that grows up to 8ft tall
- X Factor host Dermot O’Leary reveals he is expecting his first child with wife Dee Koppang… as she debuts her baby bump at BAFTA nominees party
- Meet the new Love Islanders! A pageant queen, a butler in the buff and three models… the ‘sexiest singletons yet’ are set to arrive in villa (and most have their eye on Luke M)
- Pamela Anderson calls it quits with movie producer husband Jon Peters after ONLY 12 days of marriage
- Katie Price RETURNS to rehab as she is spotted outside The Priory… just days after returning from visiting terminally ill mum Amy in Spain
- ‘Mrs Jourdan Dunn Hamilton!’ Model reveals she’s ENGAGED to her mystery ‘life partner’ as she shares a glimpse of her dazzling diamond ring
- How to be the best version of YOU: Top 10 solutions to health and wellbeing problems that will leave you feeling AND looking good Ad Feature
- Lily Allen looks chic in a green and blue lace gown as she and beau David Harbour lead the stars at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- BAFTAs 2020: Florence Pugh wows in a red mini dress as she joins Little Women co-stars Saoirse Ronan and Laura Dern at a Nominees Party ahead of glamorous ceremony
- The Crown: Olivia Colman portrays a giddy Queen Elizabeth II as she joins Tobias Menzies to film Princess Anne’s show jumping scenes for season four
- The Masked Singer: Unicorn is revealed to be The Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears and Duck is Britpop legend Skin in DOUBLE vote-off
- Lily-Rose Depp looks effortlessly chic as she dazzles in a sheer gold sequinned dress at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Chic
- BAFTAs 2020: Joaquin Phoenix looks dapper in a tailored suit as he joins his Joker co-star Zazie Beetz at a Nominees Party ahead of event
- Gemma Arterton oozes sartorial chic in a fitted corset top and culottes as she arrives for Chanel’s BAFTAs 2020 pre-party
- Can glycolic acid give you brighter, smoother skin in just seven days? Meet the supercharged treatment that delivers professional results at home Ad Feature
- Princess Eugenie dons a chic printed shirt as she heads to the hairdressers… amid claims her sister Beatrice will ‘marry in London’
- Helen McCrory, 51, wows in a metallic bronze feathered dress as she joins husband Damian Lewis, 48, at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- Kate Ferdinand breaks down in tears while Rio insists there’s ‘no manual to become a stepmum’ in teaser for stepfamily documentary
- ‘Rude and downright embarrassing’: Jim Carrey is BLASTED by fans for joke implying Margot Robbie’s successful career is thanks to her looks
- ‘I’ve got nothing to lose’: Watch Blake Lively transform from girl next door into deadly assassin in her toughest role to date Ad Feature
- Love Island’s Shaughna Phillips fails to impress MIC star Sam Thompson in VERY awkward Celebs Go Dating clip… a year before her villa stint
- Off for a spin, ma’am? The Queen gets behind the wheel of her Range Rover as he prepares to end her annual Sandringham stay
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl shares rare insight into life at home with son Bear, 2, as she reveals he will already be copying one of her act’s moves
- Sienna Miller, 38, gets engaged for the third time to 29-year-old toyboy Lucas Zwirner… but seems shy about showing off her ring
- BAFTA-winning Brits: From beloved drama Educating Rita to scene-stealing shows like Broadchurch and Happy Valley, the nominees for Britain’s best-loved shows are… Ad Feature
- Prince Andrew called his ‘victim’ Virginia Roberts ‘a very sick girl’ days after she described her abuse at hands of Royal’s paedophile friend Jeffrey Epstein
- Prince Andrew, the world is watching: Four of Jeffrey Epstein’s victims write an open letter to the Duke urging him to talk to the FBI for the sake of ‘your daughters’
- Mick Jagger seduced me when I was 15: Actress Rae Dawn reveals how she spent night with Rolling Stone when she was underage and he was married to Bianca
- Victoria Beckham, 45, bears an uncanny resemblance to son Romeo, 17, as she shares sweet throwback snap of her younger self
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl’s group The Queens and Todrick’s commercial act Ryan are the FIRST to be voted off
- Demi Lovato leaves Miami nightclub with a mystery man at 6AM… ahead of Sundays Super Bowl performance
- Ed Sheeran left frustrated as he and wife Cherry Seaborn watch beloved football team Ipswich Town lose 4-1 Oh no
- Sarah Michelle Gellar thanks a friend for being the inadvertent reason she’s spent 20 years with her beloved husband Freddie Prinze Jr.
- ‘I was such a fraud!’: Newly-unearthed clip shows the moment Meghan Markle admits she fibbed to casting directors about being in an actor’s union so she could land a part
- ELIZABETH DAY: Andrew’s cancer ‘joke’ was bad enough… but it’s timing just days after pictures emerged of him arm-in-arm with Virginia Roberts made it even worse
- Christine McGuinness is casual in a cosy pink fur jacket as she arrives in Manchester… after urging Strictly Come Dancing bosses to sign her up
- Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill, 64, dies two months after finishing tour as band pay tribute to ‘genius’ who was ‘one of the best’
- Lizzo rocks a white swimsuit for yacht day and twerk competition in Miami with bikini-clad friends ahead of Super Bowl LIV Work it
- Kimberley Garner flaunts her incredible figure in a plunging blue thong swimsuit as she takes a dip in the sea during downtime in Miami
- Love Island: Latest Casa Amor bombshell REVEALED as ripped, bikini-loving events manager Natalia Zoppa, 20, from Manchester
- Gabrielle Union flaunts her fabulous legs as she dances in the rain during Miami photoshoot
- Post Malone spills $50k cash as he hits Miami nightclub after Super Bowl weekend performance
- Revealed: Prince Andrew made sick ‘gag’ about breast cancer that is ‘too offensive to be repeated’ in boorish texts to his friend Jonathan Rowland
- Rita Ora delightedly unveils her new ‘Zog’ neck tattoo… as she reveals the Albanian word is the pet name given to her by beloved mum Vera
- Kylie Jenner says she and Stormi were ‘meant for each other’ as she shares tender throwbacks in tribute to her daughter’s second birthday
- Una Healy poses in rare loved-up snap with beau David Breen before impressing fans by speaking Swahili as they continue sun-soaked Zanzibar holiday
- Selena Gomez continues to move on from ’emotionally abusive’ relationship with Justin Bieber as she packs away bikes they rode during brief reunion
- Nicki Minaj will earn $125K to host a post-Super Bowl party… as stars cash in big on the lavish Miami football festivities Party
- Feel free to finally try a sip of alcohol’: Kate Beckinsale wishes look-alike daughter Lily a happy 21st birthday
- Montana Brown shows ex Elliott Reeder what he’s missing as she shares SIZZLING bikini-clad selfie
- Jade Thirlwall sends Little Mix fans wild after posting a cryptic snap of herself recording vocals in the studio as she teases a new sixth album
- Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio puts her bump on display as she poses completely nude during glamorous desert photo shoot
- Myleene Klass rocks a chic fedora and trench coat as she goes solo for commute to radio host job
- Cameron Diaz keeps it casual in a cardigan as she hits up a facial spa after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix last month
- Love Island’s Casa Amor FIRST LOOK: The relationship-testing second villa is revealed ahead of the arrival of a new batch of sexy singletons
- Aretha Franklin’s niece relinquishes role as singer’s executor due to ongoing ‘rift in the family’
- Rachel Lindsay and LaLa Anthony indulge in fast food treats at Bootsy On The Water Party With McDonald’s And Post Malone
- Friends of US attorney who slammed Prince Andrew say he’ll ‘ruthlessly pursue all leads’ in Jeffrey Epstein probe – as he’s compared to Chuck Rhoades from Billions
- Justin Bieber mourns the loss of Kobe Bryant with $1200 tribute art to the basketball legend
- ‘Wedding throwback!’ Kate Ferdinand fangirls as she attends Ashanti concert in London… five months after husband Rio surprised her with the R&B icon at their Turkey nuptials
- Kobe Bryant’s prom date Brandy says she’ll ‘never understand’ his death as she offers her condolences nearly a week after loss of the NBA All-Star and his daughter Gianna, 13
- Diddy suits up in classic black as he and others pay tribute to Kobe Bryant during Shaq’s Funhouse party for Super Bowl weekend
- Love Island’s Molly-Mae Hague looks sensational as she models several different looks while shooting her latest clothing collection in LA
- Rodrigo Alves showcases the results of her latest surgery in a busty pink sequinned dress as she steps out in Istanbul
- Star Wars: Phantom Menace actor Jake Lloyd who starred as young Anakin Skywalker is struggling with paranoid schizophrenia, his mother says
- Piers Morgan blasts BBC’s Horrible Histories children’s show for ‘trashing Britain’ with Brexit-themed song
- Harry Styles CANCELS pre-Super Bowl show in Florida due to severe storm warnings… as heartbroken fans hit out at event organisers for poor safety conditions amid shock evacuation
- Fern Britton and Phil Vickery ‘often weren’t on speaking terms and their recent separation has been on the cards for years’… following the death of the TV star’s father Tony
- Tamara Ecclestone beams as she hits the ski slopes with her Jay and Sophia… after being forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses
- Emily Atack and Jack Fincham ‘caught KISSING at the NTAs and couldn’t keep their hands off each other’… days after the Love Island star became a new dad
- DOI’s Caprice Bourret displays painful injuries from training with new pro Oscar Peter… just hours after ex- skating partner Hamish Gaman insisted ‘he’s not okay’ amid bitter split
- Jim Carrey reveals he WOULD be happy to portray The Mask again but only if a ‘crazy visionary filmmaker’ was making a sequel
- Declan Donnelly praises Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick for saving his beloved daschund Rocky’s life after he was savaged by a fox Pet dog
- Cheryl gets to work alongside her fellow Greatest Dancer captains… with stunning new mum Alesha Dixon getting her dancing shoes back on
- Frankie Essex showcases her one stone weight loss in a form-fitting black mini dress as she enjoys a night out in London
- ‘I’m not okay:’ Dancing On Ice’s Hamish Gaman insists the ‘truth will come out’ amid THAT Caprice Bourret split… as he finally breaks his silence
- Michelle Heaton unveils her new wrist inking after adding a simple ‘M’ to her tattoo collection during Bali trip… following her hospitalisation for ‘severe dehydration’
- Love Island’s Sophie and Mike are branded ‘SNAKES’ by fans after they ‘tactically’ vote for Siannise and Luke in brutal compatibility task… leaving them at risk of being DUMPED
- Love Island: Three models heading into Casa Amor are revealed… as bosses hope for fireworks as the Islanders are faced with temptation
- Nathalie Emmanuel cuts a quirky figure in a graphic tee and floaty skirt as she joins stars at Fast and Furious Road to F9 concert
- Christine McGuinness looks incredible in a VERY busty scarlet red dress for glam appearance at awards bash in Ireland Wow
- Kate Beckinsale, 46, risks a wardrobe malfunction in a VERY short PVC skirt with a feathered coat following Hollywood night out
- Gary Kemp, 60, cuts a dapper figure as he enjoys date night with wife Lauren Barber, 42… after admitting he’s ‘fighting’ for a Spandau Ballet reunion
- Jessica Biel shares gushing birthday message to Justin Timberlake after marriage was rocked by his PDA scandal: ‘You somehow grow up without growing old’
- Jenna Dewan floats in a bath and covers her bump in lace for breathtaking maternity photos…weeks before her due date Stunning
- Best-selling author of more than 50 mystery novels and ‘queen of suspense’ Mary Higgins Clark dies at 92 Tragic
- Love Island’s Chloe Crowhurst puts on a busty display in a green mini dress as she enjoys girls’ night out
- Oh, baby! Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio shows off her burgeoning bump in a tight jumpsuit as she poses in the snow
- Emma Roberts opts for a risqué look as she goes braless in sexy black top with flared jeans for low-key LA dinner
- Taylor Swift reveals ‘there’s a part of me that’s definitely not ready to have kids’ in new doco… where she sparks engagement rumors with Joe Alwyn
- Ciara dazzles in black sequins as Russell Wilson puts on a dapper display for date night in Miami… after announcing third pregnancy
- Khloe Kardashian enjoys a cheerful morning with True in $12,500 playhouse that’s just like the one Kylie Jenner bought for Stormi
- Vanessa Bryant posts heartbreaking message honoring Kobe and Gianna after a tearful LeBron James and grieving LA Lakers paid tribute to them at their first game since the NBA legend died in a helicopter crash
- Jasmine Sanders, Kate Bock and Danielle Herrington stun at Super Bowl party… but ‘disappointed’ Harry Styles has to call off his performance due to ‘a severe storm’
- Megan Thee Stallion serves body in double denim as she goes on Chanel shopping spree in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Tamara Ecclestone forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses… one month after her home was hit by a £50million raid
- Meghan Markle doesn’t come close to Wallis Simpson ‘in terms of style and sophistication’, says Edward VIII’s former secretary
- Terry Crews apologizes to Gabrielle Union for ‘invalidating’ her experiences of racism and sexism on AGT set: ‘I should have at the very least understood’
- Taylor Swift accepts Nikki Glaser’s apology after the comedian joked that she was ‘too skinny’ in her Netflix documentary Miss Americana
- Chrissy Teigen tries to get daughter Luna to watch a kissing scene in It Takes Two much to the toddler’s disapproval
- Police arrest woman, 47, and a man, 21, over £50m burglary at Tamara Ecclestone’s £70m Kensington home – as two other suspects remain in custody
- Dakota Johnson makes a hilarious surprise cameo as St. Vincent’s girlfriend in the Sundance film The Nowhere Inn
- ‘Love you endlessly’: Rebecca Judd pens a heartwarming tribute to her daughter Billie on her sixth birthday and shares sweet throwback snaps from when she was a newborn
- Rihanna proves to be her own best advertisement as she strips down to show off the latest Savage X Fenty collection Raunchy
- Kanye West looks glum while leaving his Calabasas office just days before his Superbowl Sunday Service in Miami
- Rebel Wilson reveals she was sexually harassed… and says she once had a STALKER who planned to lock her on his rural Victorian farm until she ‘loved him’
- Debi Mazar says her best friend Madonna’s toyboy Ahlamalik Williams, 25, is ‘lovely’ and ‘sweet’
- Rugged up royal! Crown Princess Mary of Denmark cuts a cosy figure in a turtleneck sweater and beige skirt as she attends the Women’s Board Award event in Copenhagen
- Reese Witherspoon cuts a business chic look in khaki blazer and leopard heels as she gets her hair done in Beverly Hills
- Dog the Bounty Hunter’s show Dog’s Most Wanted cancelled after one season…after he proposed to new girlfriend seven months after wife’s death
- Cameron Diaz is wintertime chic in flowing knit turtleneck as she steps out in Santa Monica after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix
- Nick Lachey chats on his phone while in Miami for the Super Bowl…as he’s seen for the first time since ex Jessica Simpson discussed marriage
- Charlie Hunnam picks up flowers in Los Angeles after revealing he ‘really hurt’ girlfriend’s feelings by saying he is ‘indifferent’ to marriage
- Kate Upton puts on a busty display in a stunning yellow suit as she arrives in Miami ahead of the Super Bowl
- Retro rocker! 5 Seconds of Summer drummer Ashton Irwin looks effortlessly cool in a black leather jacket as he relaxes at a Los Angeles cafe
- Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli claim prosecutors HID college admissions scandal evidence which ‘proves they didn’t know their money was being used as a bribe’
- ‘Dear diary, I’ve lost my implants… and found love’: Strictly’s Shirley Ballas recounts the rollercoaster journey that saw her back on TV just FOUR days after surgery
- Cardi B rocks skintight ruched purple dress on the Road to F9 concert red carpet in Miami… before sporting a low-cut jumpsuit for her performance
- Nikki Bella bares her baby bump while out with fiancé Artem Chigvintsev… after Brie Bella revealed they didn’t talk for a week after pregnancy reveal
- Sofia Richie flaunts her taut midriff in chic cropped turtleneck as she carries a script around Beverly Hills
- Drew Barrymore brings California chic to New York City with turquoise beads and orange shades
- Kylie Minogue and Naomi Watts voice their support for victims and firefighters amid the Australian bushfire crisis after attending a benefit dinner in NYC
- Love Island fans label Rebecca ‘rude’ after she REFUSES to eat the avocado on toast Wallace made for her… as she says he needs to ‘at least get it right’
- Imelda Staunton will be The Crown’s last Queen and the show will END after season five depicts the Royals in the early 21st century – which means Megxit will not make it into show
- Katie McGlynn to become face of online betting company Mecca Bingo as she lands first job after quitting Coronation Street New role
- Love Island’s Maura Higgins cancels Dancing On Ice training after falling ill and fears she may be forced to pull out of Sunday’s live show
- Fresh-faced Cara Santana dons teddy coat in LA… as philandering fiancé Jesse Metcalfe works with Bruce Willis
- Kobe Bryant’s grieving mother is seen for first time since her son and granddaughter died in chopper crash, as she emerges from her Las Vegas home
- LeBron James reveals ‘Mamba 4 Life’ tattoo in tribute to late teammate Kobe Bryant after the basketball legend’s tragic helicopter crash
- RICHARD EDEN: No Windsor wedding for Princess Beatrice… but Queen offers reception at Buckingham Palace in morale boost amid Prince Andrew scandal
- Jeff Lewis apologizes to Asian-Americans for ‘racist’ comments about coronavirus outbreak: ‘I’m very sorry for crossing the line’
- ‘I’m old’: The Masked Singer’s Jonathan Ross insists Natalie Cole gaffe was a ‘genuine mistake’ as he jokes that fellow judge Rita Ora is ‘like working with a child’
- Madonna apologises as she’s forced to cancel MORE shows on doctors’ orders and reveals she does SIX HOURS of rehab every day due to her serious injury
- Louise Redknapp ‘rules out Peppa Pig collaboration amid £1m royalties row after songwriters claim children’s TV show ripped off her 1996 hit song Naked’
- Ex TOWIE star Jasmin Walia showcases her washboard abs in a TINY white crop top as she steps out for coffee in West Hollywood Work it
- Pregnant Jodie Turner-Smith shows off her bare baby bump in a black crop top and trousers while backstage on The Graham Norton Show
- Love Island CONFIRMS the return of Casa Amor as fans fear for Callum and Shaughna’s relationship… after she almost lets slip that she LOVES him
- Laura Dern and Joaquin Phoenix look stylish as they lead the stars at the Academy Nominees Reception in London ahead of The Oscars 2020
- Bella Hadid cuts a casual figure as she shows her love for animals and playfully pets a dog while out with pals in NYC
- Priyanka Chopra looks incredible as she flaunts her cleavage in a plunging patterned dress at Super Bowl event in Miami Wow
- Heidi Klum almost spills out of her sexy Versace dress in a VERY steamy behind-the-scenes video from a photoshoot Risky
- Showing Miley what she’s missing! Liam Hemsworth flaunts his buff physique and bulging biceps while leaving a gym session in LA… after finalising his divorce from Cyrus
- Fleur East will ‘no longer take things for granted’ after ‘reality check’ from Syco axe and a friend’s suicide pushed her to re-evaluate her music career
- Liam Gallagher releases music video for single Once featuring Eric Cantona as a wine swilling king… as he brands estranged brother Noel’s new track a ‘BORING SNOOZER’
- Louis Tomlinson is swarmed by fans as he leaves his hotel in New York… after claiming he still ‘f***ing loves’ his One Direction band mates
- The Jonas Brothers: Joe takes to the stage with Nick and Kevin at the Dublin leg of their Happiness Begins tour… after announcing Las Vegas residency
- Ashanti storms the stage for London gig in knee-high leather boots and a sizzling flame-printed two-piece as she delivers energetic performance
- Elon Musk’s girlfriend Grimes confirms pregnancy as she admits to having ‘complications’ and struggling through her second trimester
- ‘Baby love!’: Kim Kardashian shares a sweet photo of her son Saint kissing little brother Psalm on the head as daughter Chicago looks on
- EXCLUSIVE: Malia Obama takes a break from her studies at Harvard as she puffs on a cigarette with her British boyfriend Rory Farquharson
- Imogen Thomas stuns in plunging black blazer dress as she continues to flaunt her January weight loss… after vowing she’s still got ‘more to lose’
- Hollyoaks star Jennifer Metcalfe stuns in sequin trousers and a plunge bodysuit as she joins Love Island’s Hayley Hughes at fashion show in Liverpool
- Chris Hughes likes tweets calling him a ‘nice guy’ as fans jump to his defence following his shocking NTAs brawl Shock
- ‘It’s worse than in here!’: Eamonn Holmes takes a swipe at This Morning ‘feud’ during a play fight between the Loose Women panellists
- TREVOR PHILLIPS: Racist? My friend Alastair Stewart fought with me against the National Front when we were student activists
- ITN bosses are ‘stung and surprised’ by backlash against Alastair Stewart being forced out over race row, say insiders
- Star Wars actor Alan Harris who portrayed Bossk in The Empire Strikes Back dies aged 81
- ‘That would be silly!’ I’m A Celeb’s Charlotte Crosby shuts down wedding talk with Ryan Gallagher but admits he’s everything ‘she wants in a man’
- AMANDA PLATELL: Why Fern Britton’s separation with TV chef Phil Vickery could be a recipe for regret
- Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade invite DeAndre Arnold to the Oscars after he was kept from walking at graduation because of his dreadlocks
- Lizzo toasts to her Grammy wins by sipping on champagne and twerking in a sexy pink swimsuit in Miami ahead of Super Bowl celebrations
- Olivia Culpo flaunts her rock-hard abs and underboob in a pink crop top and matching mini skirt for a day at the beach in Miami
- ‘When I say “kissy, kissy”, they offer up their snouts’: Chris Tarrant’s ex-wife Ingrid reveals how she swapped her husband for three PIGS… who roam freely
- ‘They were really nasty’: James Corden slams Hollyoaks for trying to ‘fat shame’ his character… after calling brief stint on the soap ‘hell on earth’
- Taylor Swift sparks engagement speculation after she’s seen rocking huge ring in her new documentary Miss Americana
- Nikki Glaser issues apology after old soundbite referencing Taylor Swift’s weight and ‘model’ friend choices is featured in Netflix documentary Miss Americana
- Robert De Niro in The Irishman may have beaten Madonna’s Evita record for most costume changes in one film Impressive
- Tom Brady teased for being a ‘crybaby’ and more as he and other NFL stars read their Mean Tweets on Jimmy Kimmel ahead of Super Bowl Sunday
- Michelle Heaton COLLAPSES from ‘severe dehydration’ after suffering from ‘Bali belly’ following a swanky £150 sushi meal
- Giovanni Pernice’s dancer ex Luba Mushtuk likes his tweet announcing split from Pussycat Doll Ashley Roberts ‘within minutes’
- ‘I can’t promise I won’t get physical again’ LISTEN as Amber Heard admits to ‘hitting’ ex Johnny Depp and pelting him with pots, pans and vases in audio confession
- Justin Bieber shows off his new tattoo as he leaves a dance session with take-out food from the Beverly Hills Hotel… as his wife Hailey is seen across town
- J.Lo and Shakira are heard rehearsing for Super Bowl halftime show which includes a medley of their biggest hits against a backdrop of fireworks
- Celine Dion discusses facing ‘tough times’ but admits ‘sometimes we are stronger than we think’… after losing her mother, 92, two weeks ago
- Eddie Redmayne drops off his old clothes off at H&M as part of store’s recycling scheme… (yet turns down their £5 incentive voucher!)
- ‘I was told I couldn’t have children’: Casualty’s Cathy Shipton reveals how reflexology helped her to get pregnant after her first round of IVF failed
- Chrissy Teigen is a casual mom in distressed denim and slides as she goes shopping with Luna in West Hollywood
- Christina Milian spotted for the first time since giving birth as she enjoys family outing with baby Isaiah and partner Matt Pokora
- Fast & Furious 9 full trailer revealed! John Cena debuts as Vin Diesel’s evil brother and they face off in EPIC car chases… while Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren get revved up
Most of us are familiar with Asiatic and Oriental lilies, the true lilies that belong to the genus Lilium. They both develop from a bulb and share similarities yet they are different. The Oriental lily is taller and its bloom size larger than the Asiatic. The Asiatic is not as fragrant as the Oriental.
Recently breeders introduced a stunning hybrid, the tree lily, that is a cross between the Oriental and Asiatic. With the beauty and benefits of both types, the tree lily towers above most other plants in the garden. The one now in full bloom in my garden measures 8 feet in height. Yes, 8 feet tall. Frankly, I thought I was seeing things when its sturdy stake-like stem grew taller by the day pushing its whorls of linear leaves between the branches of a tree in search of sun.
I don’t recall where exactly I purchased the bulb except that it was in one of those cellophane packages found in garden bins at one of Vacaville’s big box stores. I just figured this massive lily was a plain ordinary Lilium that simply outdid itself this year.
The truth is this plant with upward facing white flowers brushed with soft red strokes is not an ordinary Oriental or Asiatic lily but a tree lily. Botanically named Lilium OT hybrid ‘Garden Pleasure,’ this tree lily survives in my garden because it tolerates clay soil. Research reveals this giant lily grows in Zones 3 to 10 in either full sun or half shade and is available in other colors — Satisfaction, Purple Prince, Lavon and Conca d’Or. To view them, visit www.brecks.com
Lilium ‘Purple Prince’ (Lily ‘Purple Prince’)
Lilium ‘Purple Prince’
Lily ‘Purple Prince’, Orienpet lily ‘Purple Prince’, Oriental trumpet lily ‘Purple Prince’
Variety or Cultivar
‘Purple Prince’ _ ‘Purple Prince’ is a vigorous, erect, bulbous perennial with sturdy stems bearing whorled, elliptic, glossy, dark green leaves and, in summer, large, fragrant, bowl-shaped, purple to dark magenta flowers with yellow throats.
Create your free Shoot garden
Create your free SHOOT garden and make a record of the plants in your garden.
Add your own photos, notes, get monthly email reminders on how to care for your plants, and connect with other gardeners. Get started now.
Purple, Magenta in Summer
Dark-green in Spring; Dark-green in Summer; Dark-green in Autumn
How to care
Watch out for
Aphids , Lily beetle (Scarlet) , Slugs , Vine weevil
Grey mould , Virus
Separate offsets after the foliage dies down.
Get access to monthly care advice
Create a free SHOOT account and get instant access to expert care advice for this and other plants in your garden.
You’ll also receive handy monthly email reminders of what needs doing. Create your free account.
Where to grow
Lilium ‘Purple Prince’ (Lily ‘Purple Prince’) will reach a height of 1.2m and a spread of 0.5m after 2-5 years.
Beds and borders, Containers, Cottage/Informal, Flower Arranging, Low Maintenance
Plant at a depth at least 3 times the bulb height in well-drained soil enriched with leaf mould or well-rotted organic matter. Prefers full sun with the base in shade. Often slow to establish after planting.
Chalky, Clay, Loamy, Sandy (will tolerate most soil types)
Moist but well-drained, Well-drained
Acid, Alkaline, Neutral
Partial Shade, Full Sun
North, South, East, West
UK hardiness Note: We are working to update our ratings. Thanks for your patience.
Zone 10, Zone 9, Zone 8, Zone 7, Zone 6, Zone 5, Zone 4
Defra’s Risk register #1
Lilium ‘Purple Prince’ (Lily ‘Purple Prince’)
Common pest name
Alfalfa dwarf; Anaheim disease; California vine disease; Dwarf disease of alfalfa; Dwarf disease of lucerne; Leaf scald of oleander; Leaf scald of plum; Leaf scorch; Phony disease of peach; Pierce’s disease of grapevine; Variegated chlorosis of citrus
Scientific pest name
Xylella fastidiosa (all other strains and subspecies)
Current status in UK
Likelihood to spread to UK (1 is very low – 5 is very high)
Impact (1 is very low – 5 is very high)
General biosecurity comments
A bacterial disease with a wide host range and many sub-species and strains; including those that could thrive in cooler climates; showing different levels of pathogenicity. Although EU regulated; there is some concern about the risk of introduction. Should an outbreak occur; there would be a need for eradication action which would result in environmental and social impacts.
Defra’s Risk register #2
Lilium ‘Purple Prince’ (Lily ‘Purple Prince’)
Lance nematode; Nematode; Lance
Nematode species potentially affecting a wide variety of crops; prohibition of soil likely to mitigate risk substantially; keep under review in light of interceptions or findings should they occur in the EU.
Defra’s Risk register #3
Lilium ‘Purple Prince’ (Lily ‘Purple Prince’)
Plantago asiatica mosaic virus
Virus or Viroid
Pest risk analysis suggested potential economic impacts would be small; and management by industry would be appropriate. Industry may wish to monitor for the presence of the pest and the Dutch industry certification scheme is of added benefit to the UK.
About this section
Our plants are under greater threat than ever before. There is increasing movement of plants and other material traded from an increasing variety of sources. This increases the chances of exotic pests arriving with imported goods and travellers, as well as by natural means. Shoot is working with Defra to help members to do their part in preventing the introduction and spread of invasive risks.
Traveling or importing plants? Please read “Don’t risk it” advice here
Date updated: 7th March 2019 For more information visit: https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/
Lilies: Planting Depth and Distance
Lilies make perfect partners with other plants and help create strikingly beautiful combinations in the garden. There are many Lily species and even more hybrid Lilies to choose from which offer a rich array of heights, colors and bloom times. These hearty bulbs are easy to grow and require minimal care, provided that you plant them in the right place at the proper depth and distance.
The depth and distance apart at which you will plant your Lily bulbs vary according to the type of Lilies.
Asiatic lilies are among the earliest to bloom and they are also the easiest of lilies to grow. Medium size plants with upward or outward facing flowers, mostly unscented. Their flowers are 4-6 in wide (10-15 cm) and can bloom for up to one month in the garden.
- Plant them 8 in. deep (20 cm) and 8 in. apart (20 cm).
- If you do not intend to lift the bulbs at the end of the season and decide to leave them undisturbed for 2-3 years, allow 12 in. (30 cm) to make room for the increasing number of bulbs.
LA Lilies and Orienpet Lilies
LA hybrid Lilies result from crosses between Lilium longiflorum (‘Easter lilies’) and Asiatic Lilies. They are robust growers with strong, sturdy stems and exceptionally large fragrant flowers.
Adored by gardeners, Orienpet Lilies are outstanding garden plants. They are a real breakthrough in the history of Lily breeding. They combine the incredible beauty of the Oriental Lilies with the robustness, heat tolerance and colors of the Trumpet & Aurelian Hybrids. The best of both worlds. Blooming towards the end of the lily season, Orienpet Lilies are perfect additions to the late summer garden. Their fresh and impressive blooms are welcomed by gardeners since many other plants have started to fade.
- Plant them 8 in. deep (20 cm) and 8 in. apart (20 cm).
Lilium candidum (Madonna Lily)
Cultivated for centuries, award-winner Lilium Candidum is a majestic Lily with large (2-3 in or 6-8 cm long), glistening pure white trumpets facing outward and bright yellow pollen. Celebrated for its intense and delicious fragrance, this prolific Lily produces clusters of up to 20 blossoms per stem for a spectacular long-lasting display. Plant it near a patio and enjoy its intoxicating fragrance on a summer evening!
- As opposed to the planting directions for other lilies, these Lily bulbs must be planted so that 1 in. (3 cm) of soil covers the nose of the bulb.
- Plant them 8-10 in. apart (20-25 cm).
Amazingly decorative and easy to grow, Martagon Lilies feature bountiful 2-4 inch blossoms (5-10 cm), mostly downward facing with strongly recurved tepals and resembling a Turk’s cap (hence their common name). Yellow, pink, lavender, light orange, deep dark red and white are the colors most frequently seen and are often accompanied by whimsical speckles and freckles.
- Plant them 7 in. deep (17 cm) and 7 in. apart (17 cm).
Known as the most flamboyant personalities within the world of lilies, Oriental Hybrid Lilies are characterized by their immense flowers, intense fragrance and rich colors. Blooming over a long period of time, from mid to late summer and even into fall for some varieties, their flowers are usually large and open, outward facing or pendant with striking patterns of spots.
- Plant them 8 in. deep (20 cm) and 10 in. apart (25 cm)
Species Lilies are wild lilies, native to North America, Europe, and especially Asia. Delicate and full of charm, there are about 80 to 100 accredited Species. Some of them make excellent garden plants that can be grown without fuss. Others may require special attention to some specific needs and be challenging to grow.
Tiger Lilies (Lilium Lancifolium or Lilium Tigrinum) command our attention with their bright and showy, orange-colored flowers covered with black or deep crimson spots, giving the appearance of the skin of the tiger, hence their common name. Native of China and Japan, they are robust and easy to grow. Amazingly decorative, Tiger Lilies feature unscented 5 inch blossoms (12 cm), mostly downward facing with gracefully recurved tepals. Prolific, mature bulbs can produce up to 12 blossoms per stem and will multiply to form clumps over the years.
- Plant them 8 in. deep (20 cm) and 8 in. apart (20 cm).
Blooming in mid summer, Trumpet Lilies enjoy a heavy, sweet fragrance, and their huge waxy trumpet flowers, up to 6-10 in. long (15-25 cm), may be pendant, widely flaring in a shallow bowl shape or be upward facing. Adding distinction and elegance to the garden, their colors vary from pure glistening white to bright gold, yellow, pink, plum, apricot, with some having dramatic maroon petals on the outside of the trumpet.
- Plant them 8 in. deep (20 cm) and 10 in. apart (25 cm).
- Trumpet Lilies with large bulbs such as Lilium regale or Lilium ‘Pink Perfection’ need to be planted more deeply, 6-8 in. (15-20 cm). To accommodate their huge flowers, you need to provide plenty of space and plant them at least 15 in. apart (37 cm).
Lily Planting recommendations
- Plant your Lily bulbs in spring or fall.
- Plant your Lily bulbs in groups for bolder impact (minimum 3 bulbs), rather than scattering single bulbs. A group of 5 or more will be even more spectacular.
- Mixing Lilies cultivars is not always a successful idea from a design standpoint. Each cultivar has its own height, blooming period and character. Planting together Lily varieties of varying heights or flowering season would reduce the overall effect.
- Usually, tall Lilies are planted at the back of the border or at the center of island beds while dwarf Lily varieties are placed at the front. Tall Lilies may be planted among or behind shrub roses and small to medium-sized shrubs such as Spireas, which help in providing support and reduce the need for staking.
- There is a wide range of companion plants that will bring out the best qualities of your Lilies and share their space with a serene balance. Make sure you select any ornamental grasses, perennials, annuals or shrubs that have the same growing requirements as your Lilies. Most Lilies do best in full sun and well-drained soil, but some varieties prefer partial shade. Most Lilies do well in slightly acidic soil while others, such as Martagon Lilies, love alkaline soils. Be aware that a few rules need to be respected to ensure your Lilies will thrive among these plants.
- Loosen the soil to a depth of 12-15 inches (30-37 cm). Deep planting is important as it will help stabilize your Lily and potentially eliminate the need for staking. Mix in a 2-4 in. layer of compost (5-10 cm). Dig a hole based on the above depth recommendations and set the Lilies with their roots facing downwards. Cover them with a layer of soil, press down firmly and water thoroughly.