- 5 Cat Urine Odor Removal Tips
- How to get rid of cat pee smell from carpet
- How to get rid of cat pee smell from furniture
- How to get rid of cat pee smell from hard surfaces
- How to get rid of cat pee smell from clothes
- 8 of Nature’s Smelliest Plants
- 1. GINKGO TREE (GINKGO BILOBA): VOMIT
- 2. MISSOURI GOURD (CUCURBITA FOETIDISSIMA): ARMPIT
- 3. SKUNK CABBAGE (SYMPLOCARPUS FOETIDUS): SKUNK, PUTRID MEAT, AND GARLIC
- 4. JACKAL FOOD (HYDNORA AFRICANA): POOP
- 5. CALLERY PEAR (PYRUS CALLERYANA): ROTTING FISH
- 6. BOXWOOD (BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS): CAT PEE
- 7. CORPSE FLOWER (AMORPHOPHALLUS TITANUM): ROTTING FLESH
- 8. TREE OF HEAVEN (AILANTHUS ALTISSIMA): SEMEN
- Plants That Smell Like Cat Urine
- Viburnum tinus
- NC town stinks so badly of ‘cat pee,’ that there’s an official state memo about it | Charlotte Observer
- Why Do Some Trees & Bushes Smell Like Cat Urine?
- Other Plants
- Advance planning
- Branching out for Christmas
- More Information
- How to choose your Christmas tree
- Doctors reveal what different illnesses SMELL like
5 Cat Urine Odor Removal Tips
By Jennifer Sellers, Petfinder contributor
There’s an unwanted guest in your home. It welcomes you each time you enter a room; it even greets your guests. No, it’s not your beloved kitty; it’s the odor of her urine. You’re not stuck with this uninvited presence, though. There a number of ways you can kick it to the curb.
1. Remove as much urine as possible. The less urine there is, the less you’ll have to deep clean. So when you notice that your cat has urinated somewhere outside of her litter box, clean up as much of it as you can as soon as you can. If the puddle was made on carpet or furniture, The Humane Society of the United States recommends blotting the area with an absorbent paper towel. This won’t get up all of the urine, but it will leave less of it behind for you to have to treat later.
If your cat has urinated on linens, clothing or drapes, wash them or have them dry-cleaned as soon as possible. The longer urine stays on fabric, the more stubborn its odor becomes. Detergents with baking soda or enzymatic additives are best for cleaning items that have urine odor.
If the urine is on a wall or other hard surface, wipe it down with a wet rag.
2. Break down the stain and smell with an enzymatic cleaner. “Enzymatic cleaners release cultures that literally eat the urine, leaving things sanitary and smell free once dry,” notes ApartmentTherapy.com. Many non-protein-based carpet and fabric deodorizers alone won’t be able to handle the strong, pervasive odor of cat urine. Cats have a stronger sense of smell than people, so even if you can’t smell leftover urine, your cat might – making it more likely that she’ll soil the area again.
A spray made with enzymes that target pet urine can help break down the urine and make it less likely that your cat will return. There are a number of these products in pet stores and home improvement stores. Just be sure to use it as instructed. (The potency of many enzymatic cleaners can be weakened by contact with other cleaning chemicals.)
3. Clean the area with an extracting wet vac but avoid steam cleaners. Extracting carpet cleaners expel clean water onto carpet or fabric then suck dirty water back into the tank. This can be a great way to rinse the area, especially if you’re dealing with carpeting. It’s important to follow the directions carefully. The HSUS recommends using cool, clean water in the wet vac.
You should also avoid using steam cleaners. Intense heat can actually cause odors to set into the fibers of carpet and upholstery more stubbornly.
4. Follow-up with a baking soda-based air freshener. Sodium bicarbonate, the substance baking soda is comprised of, is great at absorbing odors. One way to put it to use against urine odor is to sprinkle it on the carpet or furniture after you’ve cleaned your cat’s urine and the area has thoroughly dried. After sprinkling, let it sit for an hour or longer, then vacuum it up. You can also try this carpet-fresher recipe by HowStuffWorks.com:
- 1 cup crushed, dried herbs (rosemary, southernwood, lavender, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Sprinkle the mixture on your carpet, let it sit for 10-20 minutes, then vacuum. You can store any extra in an airtight container.
5. Find ways to prevent future accidents. The more urine your cat adds to your home, the harder it’s going to keep the odor at bay. So the best way to fight this stench is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. This may include any number of methods:
- Retraining your cat to use her litter box
- Laying down disposable, absorbent pads (like puppy training pads) in an area she continues to mark
- Having her spayed (or neutered, if a male cat)
- Taking her to the vet for a check-up to see if she has any kidney or bladder problems
- Treating her for anxiety, if that’s determined to be the cause of her urinating outside of her litter box
- Cleaning out her litter box more often
- Adding extra litter boxes if there is more than one cat in the household
Companionship with a cat can be rewarding — so can keeping a home. Don’t let urine odor ruin either experience.
Additional Sources for Reference
It’s bad enough that your cat left you a little accident that you have to clean up. But even worse? A cat pee smell that sticks around even after the mess is gone. The odor can linger if the urine was sitting there for a while before you got a chance to blot it up and disinfect—and the accidents can be annoyingly easy to miss, says Jennifer Gregory, brand manager of Molly Maid. “It can be difficult to spot cat urine on carpet unless you smell it, witness it, or step in it while wet,” she says. By that time it could be too late, and the odor has already taken root.
If your cat’s spraying is becoming a trend, schedule a visit with the vet to rule out any health problems that are keeping your kitty from making it to the litter box, and watch for these 13 other signs your “healthy” cat is actually sick. In the meantime, use these expert-approved tricks for getting rid of cat pee smell from the house.
How to get rid of cat pee smell from carpet
As with pretty much any stain, no matter what the material, the key is to act fast. “If you can blot up as much of the pee from the spot as possible, you are halfway there,” says Gregory.
Next, apply a bacteria- or enzyme-based cleaner like this one to the area, suggests Merry Maids cleaning expert Debra Johnson. The good bacteria and enzymes help break down the smelly bacteria that are leaving an odor. Johnson recommends pressing the cleaner in with plastic so it can penetrate more deeply, then leaving the plastic over the stain while the product works its magic. If needed, follow up the cleaner a cup of vinegar mixed into a gallon of water, then apply more of the pro-bacteria product.
How to get rid of cat pee smell from furniture
Cat urine can smell like ammonia, so ammonia-based cleaners are a no-no for cat pee stains, says Gregory. “If they smell a spot with pee, they will keep peeing there,” she says. “They will see this as a signal that is the place to go back to.” But vinegar has the opposite effect, telling your cat to keep out. Wet the urine stain with a vinegar solution, and as the vinegar evaporates, it’ll take the cat pee smell with it. For other messes around the house, use these 17 tricks for hard-to-clean household objects.
How to get rid of cat pee smell from hard surfaces
After blotting away any urine, mix a tablespoon of dish soap into two cups of cool water, suggests Johnson. Using a microfiber cloth, wipe down the soiled area with the solution, then use a clean cloth to dry the spot. If any odor lingers, sprinkle baking soda on the stinky spot and leave it for at least half an hour. “Baking soda neutralizes odors instead of just masking them,” says Johnson. Once the baking soda has had time to get rid the space of the cat pee smell, vacuum it up. Just make sure you close off the room to your cat and other pets while the baking soda is still lying around—while it’s not harmful in small amounts, it could be toxic if your furry friend ingests a lot of it.
How to get rid of cat pee smell from clothes
Rinse out the stain with cool water before tossing a cat pee-stained article of clothing into the wash. If the urine smell sticks around, try rewashing with a cup of baking soda or a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar—or better yet, an enzyme-based cleaner, suggests PetMD. Let it air-dry, because the heat from the dryer could make the smell worse if the wash cycle didn’t get rid of it completely. While you’re addressing your cat’s pee problem, watch out for these other 14 cat health symptoms you should never ignore.
The first step in planning a good landscape is to decide what shape and size plant will work best for each location. Foundation beds around your house require many shapes and sizes of plants, because there are windowsills, narrow beds along walks and other special situations.
Traditional landscapers and home builders planted Taxus yews and other evergreen shrubs, depending on homeowners to constantly shear and clip the plants to contain them. Most Taxus and junipers grow much too large if left un-sheared. They will eventually outgrow foundation beds and need to be removed. Still, most homeowners prefer evergreens around the house to mask unsightly foundation block and provide a backdrop for flowering plants.
The best solution is to choose evergreens based on their final size. Narrow beds between the house and sidewalk require compact shrubs. Windowsills dictate shrubs that don’t grow too tall. House corners need upright growers that get taller, softening the corners and filling in blank spaces between windows. Rather than controlling the size and shape of shrubs by shearing, you can select plants that grow to approximately the proportions you need. This makes maintenance a breeze.
Our favorite foundation shrub by far is the boxwood. An occasional shearing for shape is all that’s needed to keep these plants looking tidy and neat, and if you choose the right ones, they’ll never outgrow the space. You can plant them close together so they’ll join in an informal hedge, or further apart so there is space between them.
Modern hybrid boxwoods are extremely hardy and free of natural pests. The best varieties stay glossy green all year round, thrive in full sun or part shade, tolerate drought and grow very evenly into a nice mounding shape. Deer won’t touch them. Their dark color flatters flowering shrubs, perennials and annuals like the neutral background of floral pattern wallpaper.
Each boxwood variety has a certain size and shape it likes to grow to, and then stop growing. “Green Velvet” and “Green Gem” form compact, almost round mounds perfect for narrow beds and under windows. “Green Mountain” forms an upright oval or pyramid three feet wide and five feet high. “Faulkner” makes an oval three feet wide and only four feet high. “Chicagoland Green,” “Winter Gem” and “Green Beauty” all form bigger plants, easily shaped into mounds four to five feet tall and wide.
For truly miniature hedges, borders or topiary, “Dwarf English” Boxwood (Buxus suffruticosa) is best. Suffruticosa boxwoods do have the distinctive “cat pee” smell that has given boxwoods a bad name, so we prefer the newer cultivars unless a true miniature is called for.
Boxwoods aren’t very picky about soil and growing conditions, but well-drained soils are best. Mix peat moss and Holly-Tone fertilizer into the planting soil, and mulch to keep the soil moist. Water regularly until the plants are well rooted. Once established, Boxwoods are extremely drought tolerant. They are not disease-prone and don’t attract insect pests.
We’ve yet to find a more cooperative compact shrub for almost any style of landscaping. If you’re just pulling out some overgrown, out-of-control Taxus, or starting from scratch with nothing, Boxwoods are a great place to start. Just figure out the shapes and sizes that will flatter your house best, and pick the boxwood that naturally grows just that way.
Steve Boehme is a landscape designer/installer specializing in landscape “makeovers.” He can be reached at 937-587-7021 or [email protected]
Steve Boehme is a landscape designer/installer specializing in landscape “makeovers.” He can be reached at 937-587-7021 or [email protected]
8 of Nature’s Smelliest Plants
Nature is filled with stinky plants, but the ones below produce aromas comparable to some of the grossest odors known to humankind—think poop, cat pee, or even worse.
1. GINKGO TREE (GINKGO BILOBA): VOMIT
Jean-Pol GRANDMONT viaWikipedia// CC BY 3.0
There’s a reason why the ginkgo tree has survived on Earth for at least 200 million years: The living fossil is durable, low maintenance, and resistant to diseases and pests. These qualities make it an ideal tree to plant in cities. However, planting ginkgos can be a crap shoot, as young male trees and female trees—which eventually produce seeds—look identical.
However, they’re decidedly not the same. The mature female ginkgos possess a less-than-ideal feature: When they shed their fruit each fall, the fruit rot and release a foul smell that’s often likened to vomit. The fruit contain butyric acid, which also can be found in both barf and rancid butter; scientists think that long ago, this scent may have compelled dinosaurs to eat and digest the fruit, thus spreading the seeds far and wide. Adding injury to olfactory insult, ginkgo seeds’ flesh contains a chemical similar to the one found in poison ivy, meaning it can cause rashes.
2. MISSOURI GOURD (CUCURBITA FOETIDISSIMA): ARMPIT
Visit the central and southwest U.S., and you may encounter the Missouri gourd, a.k.a. buffalo gourd—a vine-y plant that sprouts tiny gourds that deepen from yellow-green to yellow-brown when they mature.
Judging from its Latin name (Cucurbita foetidissima, the latter part meaning “very fetid”) and its nicknames (which include “fetid gourd” and “stinky gourd”), you can probably assume that the Missouri gourd doesn’t smell great. In fact, its leaves and fruit are said to smell like a ripe armpit, and one can pick up the noxious scent simply by brushing against a leaf.
For the most part, people steer clear of the Missouri gourd. However, the Apache used its roots and crushed leaves, stems, and fruits for medicinal purposes, and its saponin—which produces suds—for soap and shampoo.
3. SKUNK CABBAGE (SYMPLOCARPUS FOETIDUS): SKUNK, PUTRID MEAT, AND GARLIC
According to the late naturalist Neltje Blanchan, skunk cabbage, which grows in marshy, wooded areas, swamps, and along streams throughout North America, smells like “skunk, putrid meat, and garlic.” Not surprisingly, the skunk cabbage’s Latin name, Symplocarpus foetidus, means “to stink.”
Skunk cabbage owes its odor to skatole, a crystalline organic compound that occurs naturally in feces, and cadaverine, an organic compound that’s produced when amino acids decompose in rotting animals. The plant’s unsavory aroma attracts insects for pollination purposes, and makes it unappealing to grazing animals.
4. JACKAL FOOD (HYDNORA AFRICANA): POOP
Hydnora africana (also known as jackal food or jakkalskos) is native to southern Africa, and sprouts on the roots of other plants. It’s a round, parasitic flower with narrowly-spaced, threadlike structures between its sepals To attract dung beetles, which pollinate the flower, jackal food emits the smell of feces. The beetles crawl into the flower, and the sepal’s threads prevent the insects from leaving easily, forcing them to stick around long enough to finish the job.
5. CALLERY PEAR (PYRUS CALLERYANA): ROTTING FISH
Bruce Marlin, Wikipedia // CC BY 3.0
A common tree throughout North America is the Callery pear (also called Bradford pear), a tree that’s native to China and Vietnam. The Callery pear was once prized for its hardiness, ability to thrive in disparate soil and climate conditions, and beautiful white blossoms, which are among the first to bloom in springtime. Now it’s notorious for the scent of its flowers, often likened to dead fish. Plus, thanks to its capacity to grow in any environment, the tree is swiftly becoming an invasive pest that crowds out native species.
6. BOXWOOD (BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS): CAT PEE
If you’ve ever caught a whiff of cat pee while strolling through a formal garden, chances are a feline wasn’t responsible. You likely smelled the common boxwood, or Buxus sempervirens—a leafy green landscape shrub that’s often planted into hedges or trimmed into topiaries. Their leaves contain an oil that, when heated by the sun, smells akin to your kitty’s urine.
7. CORPSE FLOWER (AMORPHOPHALLUS TITANUM): ROTTING FLESH
The mother of all meat-scented flowers is the massive titan arum—more commonly known as the corpse flower—which is native to the rainforests of Sumatra, Indonesia. Titan arum takes years to bloom, and when it finally does unfurl, it stays open for only a short period of time. Be glad the bloom doesn’t last longer, as the blossom emits the stench of rotting flesh to attract pollinating flies and carrion beetles. Experts don’t quite know what chemicals are responsible for titan arum’s stink, but they have identified the main odorants: the molecules putrescine and cadaverine.
8. TREE OF HEAVEN (AILANTHUS ALTISSIMA): SEMEN
Wikipedia// CC BY-SA 2.5
A Pennsylvania gardener introduced the Tree of Heaven to American soil during the mid-18th century, and Chinese miners and railroad workers brought it with them from Asia to America when they immigrated during the Gold Rush years .
The hardy deciduous tree is tolerant to air pollution and able to thrive in harsh environments, so you’ll find it growing everywhere from urban areas to rocky areas to roadsides. However, thanks to the Tree of Heaven’s capacity to rapidly grow and spread—along with a toxin in its leaves and bark that stunts the growth of the plants around it—it’s become known as a hated invasive species that crowds out native plants. Even worse? Male trees sprout blossoms each spring that are said to smell like semen.
Plants That Smell Like Cat Urine
garden image by Horticulture from Fotolia.com
Landscaping your yard is an effective way to improve your home’s curb appeal and provide a backdrop for family gatherings. The last thing you want while entertaining is to have the smell of cat urine wafting in the air. Beware before you buy —talk to your local nursery to find out if there are any plants of which you should be aware. This is particularly important if you are sensitive to odors since there are several plants which smell very similar to cat urine.
Boxwood is commonly used in landscaping and has a very distinctive odor, similar to cat urine. Boxwood has been used in landscaping since colonial times and can be found in all types of landscaping — ranging from colonial to modern. It is a versatile shrub that can be used to define areas, create a natural screen and grow as topiary shrubs. Boxwoods come in approximately 30 different species. The two most widely used boxwood species are buxus sempervirens (American boxwood) and buxus microphylla (Japanese boxwood). American boxwood reaches heights of 5 to 10 feet and is generally cold-weather tolerant. Japanese Boxwood is a low-growing shrub that rarely exceeds 3 feet in height.
Valerian is an odiferous herb that grows in grassland areas and may be used as a landscaping plant in a garden setting. Stems are straight and hollow with deep green leaves. Valerian blooms with small, pink or light purple flowers between June and September; flowers may have a sweet fragrance. However, the rest of the valerian plant (leaves, stem and roots) produces a smell that can be rather repelling to the human nose and which may resemble that of cat urine. The herb is frequently used in alternative medicine. Taken as a supplement, valerian has soothing properties which can alleviate sleeplessness associated with insomnia and calm anxiety.
Viburnum tinus, or Laurustinus viburnum, is an evergreen shrub that grows to heights of 6 to 12 feet and widths between 6 and 10 feet. It is frequently used in landscaping due to its lustrous green foliage and eye-catching white flowers that begin blooming in late winter. Viburnum is relatively easy to grow since it does well in alkaline or acidic soils and flourishes in a sunny location. While viburnum adds evergreen color to the landscape and is well suited to many growing conditions, the plants will emit a strong odor on rainy days — the smell may be reminiscent of cat urine to some.
NC town stinks so badly of ‘cat pee,’ that there’s an official state memo about it | Charlotte Observer
Complaints have circulated for years that Wilmington smells a lot like cat urine, and the state of North Carolina is finally ready to confirm it’s not imaginary. LegacyData2017
Complaints have circulated for years that Wilmington smells a lot like cat urine, and the state of North Carolina is finally ready to confirm it’s not imaginary.
The N.C. Division of Air Quality has received “several complaints about a cat urine-like odor” around Wilmington and it is investigating the cause…or causes.
Brad Newland, a supervisor with the N.C. Division of Air Quality, issued a memo on Dec. 5 admitting even he has detected a “faint cat odor” in downtown Wilmington.
Why does Wilmington smell like a garbage can
— Brandon Lee (@brandontylerlee) December 10, 2017
Local News at Your Fingertips
Get unlimited digital access for just $3.99 a month to #ReadLocal anytime, on any device.
“I know that the catty odors have impacted downtown from time to time, and in my personal experience, the odor seems to vary,” he told the Wilmington Star-News. “Sometimes it smells like pure cat urine to me, and sometimes it smells similar but different.”
State officials thought they found the source a few weeks ago, but not anymore: “Initially, Fortron Industries was the sole suspect of the odors as its emissions are associated with the ‘male cat pee’ odor. However, based on observations made in the community and inquiries with several industries, it is now believed that the odors could have come from a combination of sources.”
In other words, they’re stumped.
One thing they do believe, however, is that cold air can make matters worst, because the colder, more dense air traps odors and pollution near the ground.
Complaints about the smell have appeared on social media for years, including a lot of guessing as to the origin. Some say it’s illegal manufacturing done under the cover of darkness while others swear it’s because of naturally occurring swamp gas and/or decaying vegetation.
why does wilmington smell like cat piss anytime its mildly damp outside
— e n (@ian_schulte) November 10, 2017
“I do not know the origin, but have smelled the same odor myself for many years,” said an email from Woody White, chair of the New Hanover County Commissioners.
“You can smell it in Wrightsboro,” posted Laurene Rapoza on Facebook. “It gets so bad that I have to turn my heat/AC off so my entire house doesn’t smell like cat urine. It’s horrible!”
“My family smelled the ammonia smell passing by in a vehicle on Thanksgiving,” wrote Kimberly Surles Strickland on Facebook. “It felt like my sinuses were on fire, just awful!”
Why does Wilmington smell so awful today?
— SuperDuperMyles (@DavinchNation) November 9, 2017
Sue Newell Almeter of Leland said in a Facebook post that she has smelled it since the late 1980s and believes it doesn’t come from a single source. “The pungent odor is a concoction that can include swamp gas and fumes from a number of industrial plants along the Cape Fear River,” she wrote.
Steve Curre of Kure Beach launched a Facebook campaign last month to push state officials into an investigation. It’s not known whether that prompted the Division of Air Quality to take action, however.
“If you live near downtown Wilmington, you probably woke up to the chemical smell that smells similar to cat urine this Saturday morning,” he posted on Facebook. “As a New Hanover County citizen, I want to know what this chemical smell is, where it is coming from, and whether there are any potential health effects.”
State officials are continuing their investigation and are asking citizens with odor complaints to call 910 796-7215 and ask for Air Quality. So far, said Newland, nothing has been found to indicate the smell is a health risk.
Why does the city of Wilmington smell like wet dog?
— Domenic D'Angelo (@Domenic_26) October 5, 2017
Can someone explain to me why large swatches of Wilmington smell like cat urine?
— chrimuh jush (@Mr_Cleb) February 26, 2017
Why does Wilmington smell so nasty today
— theresa (@troseverry) November 1, 2017
Mark Price: 704-358-5245, @markprice_obs
Why Do Some Trees & Bushes Smell Like Cat Urine?
Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Amanda
One of the problems homeowners face is how to protect their landscaping from marauding neighborhood animals looking for a restroom. However, this is not necessarily the reason that some trees and bushes produce an odor reminiscent of cat urine. Whatever the reason may be that your yard gives off an unpleasant smell, you can take certain steps to reduce or eliminate the odor.
Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Alessandro Valli
Black pepper and/or pine cones are excellent deterrents to feline prowlers. Use vinegar to remove any lingering odor.
Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Diana House
If you have recently placed mulch in your landscaping or garden, this could be the culprit. The moisture in the mulch can begin to rot, giving off an ammonia-like odor. Try raking it to promote drying.
Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Christian Guthier
Certain trees, such as white spruce and locust trees, are known to produce a cat urine type of odor.
Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of chelseagirl
Box elder, the herb Valerian, and certain types of viburnum and penstemon, are additional stinky vegetation culprits for which cats are erroneously blamed.
If you’re thinking of adding a few plants to your landscaping, you may want to ask someone at the plant nursery what to expect before you invest in what may turn out to be an obnoxiously noxious plant.
Branching out for Christmas
Notable: The most popular Christmas tree today
Average needle length: 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches
Characteristics: Native to North Carolina. Has a reputation of retaining its needles the longest of any fir. Dark green with a silver cast to the underside of the needles, which helps distinguish it from a balsam fir. Branches aren’t as dense as a balsam.
Notable: Known for its scent, which is why you’ll find a lot of balsam-scented candles around the holidays.
Average needle length: 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches
Characteristics: Grown commonly in Canada and Maine. A traditional tree in New England, and loved for its strong Christmas tree scent. Also holds needles well. Is green on both sides of the needles.
Notable: Completely different look than the other firs. Most noted for producing a citrus (tangerine) scent if you break the needles. This has led some people to crush the needles and hide them around the base of the tree.
Average needle length: 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
Characteristics: Native to the Pacific Northwest. Most of these trees have a striking blue cast. For fans of the old-fashioned Scotch pine, it has a similar long needle, but they’re much softer, so no injuries while hanging ornaments.
Notable: Not actually a true fir. Can be difficult to grow, because of susceptibility to disease, so they might be hard to find at your local tree farm. Ellms says he gets a batch of them in from a friend who grows beautiful ones, just so he can offer them to his customers who prefer a Douglas.
Average needle length: 3/4 to 1 3/4 inches
Characteristics: Popular on the Pacific Coast and, oddly, in Pennsylvania, Ellms says. If the tree is diseased, it will drop needles faster. If not, it will last like most firs. Has little to no aroma. A nice green, though can occasionally be found in a blue-green tint.
Notable: Stiff branches and needles, not as soft as a fir, but not as prickly as a blue spruce. And then there’s the scent.
Average needle length: 1/2 to 1 inch
Characteristics: Lighter green than most of the firs. Stiff branches are a good option for people decorating with heavy ornaments. And then there’s the aroma: “They do smell, but they smell terrible,” Ellms says. “As everyone says, they smell like cat urine, but that doesn’t slow people down.” Ellms notes that people won’t catch the smell as soon as they walk into the room, but it can be noticeable when you’re up close to the tree.
Notable: If people know nothing about tree species when they visit a farm, this is the only one they can name. Known for its color, but it will stick you when you’re hanging the tinsel.
Average needle length: 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches
Characteristics: If you want to keep your dog, cat or kids away from your Christmas tree, this might be the choice. The needles are sharp, in contrast to other Christmas tree species. This is a good choice for people with heavy ornaments because the stiff branches will not bend to the weight. The tree’s blue cast also helps people overcome the ouch factor.
Notable: Have been more popular on the local scene in the last 10 years. Known for their dark green color.
Average needle length: 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches
Characteristics: Native to the Korean peninsula. Dark green color (with a silvery underside to the needles) is the real draw with this one, though the branches also lean toward being pretty dense, which may be appealing to some buyers.
Tips for keeping your Christmas tree healthy
Keep tree in a cool, shady place like the garage until ready to bring indoors.
Saw 1/4 inch off bottom of trunk prior to placing the tree in stand.
Make a cut perpendicular to the axis of the stem, not at angles or a V-cut.
Make sure to place tree in water-holding stand immediately after making cut.
Stand must be able to hold enough water for the size of the tree.
Use warm water for the first fill of the stand.
Remember, you wouldn’t bring home fresh-cut flowers and place them in a dry vase. The Christmas tree is still living, so maintain an adequate water level always. Check water level every day.
Check water levels twice per day in the first few days. A tree will absorb the most water after it is recently cut and placed in water.
Make sure tree is displayed away from heat sources. Always check electrical devices like lights and other decorations before placing on the tree.
Avoid spraying preservatives or fire-retardants on tree. Some of these products actually increase moisture loss. The most fire-retardant tree is one that is properly watered.
Source: Christmas Tree Farmers Association of New York
How to choose your Christmas tree
Don’t rely on your eye because everything looks smaller outdoors. “Every year we get calls from customers asking ‘have you got a saw?'” laughs John Brennan, owner of Irish Christmas Trees (Irishchristmastrees.com).
The average room has a ceiling height of 2.4m or 8ft so a 7 or 8ft tree is more than adequate unless you’re living in a Georgian or Victorian home. If you have to to prune, always cut from the bottom, as the ‘leader’ branch, at the top of the tree will look odd if it’s trimmed.
Which real tree?
There are two main types of ‘real’ Christmas tree: Noble Fir and Nordmann Fir. “The better of the two is the Nobel Fir,” explains John, who has been in the industry for over 50 years. It will hold its needles longer, has a lovely smell and is a beautiful blue/green colour.”
A good quality 7/8ft Noble Fir will set you back around €60. Nordmann firs don’t have the same smell and, in general, won’t last as long but are more common and can cost less since Noble firs are harder to grow. Both varieties are non-shed so shouldn’t be leaving a carpet of needles.
How to get the most out of your real tree
If the tree has any yellow or brown branches, it could be a sign of necrosis which means it’ll lose its needles faster. You want your tree to be as fresh as possible so get it cut to order or at least try and look for ones that are being stored outside and out of their packaging.
“The colour of the tree is important as it denotes the health of the tree,” explains Dermot Page, chair of the Irish Christmas Tree Growers Association. “Needles should be stiff and not floppy and branches should stand out from the tree.”
Just like with flowers, you can prolong the tree’s life-span by taking a bit off the bottom.
“Ask the seller to chop an inch off the trunk so that when you take it home, the water will be absorbed quickly,” adds Dermot.
“In the first week the tree will absorb much more water than during the following weeks but do keep an eye on the water level, remember to water it every day and keep it away from heat. Do this and your tree will last the whole Christmas period.”
Don’t think you can just chop down your own tree
If you want a real tree check out lovearealtree.ie for retailers. Not only does illegal felling carry severe penalties, there’s also a good chance you’ll cut down the wrong thing.
“There’s always someone who thinks they can just hop a fence and ends up cutting down a Sitka Spruce, which isn’t like a traditional Christmas tree and has a very distinctive smell,” says John.
“They then spend the rest of Christmas wondering where the smell of cat pee is coming from.”
When should you fake fir?
If you want options outside the big two of Noble and Nordmann firs then artificial is a world of choice, from more exotic pines to feathers and tinsel.
“There are hundreds of styles,” says Marie Devitt a buyer for Newlands Home and Garden Centre (newlands.ie).
“You can also get that perfect shape that you’re never going to get in nature
Additionally you can theme your Christmas greenery by buying tree, garlands and wreaths in matching styles. Most artificial trees are flame retardant and allergy free and you don’t need to worry about leaving the heat on.
“No bucket of water will save a tree if it’s beside a radiator or over underfloor heating,” says John.
“I like to promote Irish Christmas trees and 90pc of our trade is in real trees but there are situations where a real tree just isn’t suitable.”
Fake fir – the technical bit
Artificial trees can range in size from 2ft to 15ft and, up to 9ft, tend to go up in half-foot sizes, but where you need to pay attention is in girth and tip count.
“Our trees come from an American family company and come in small, medium and large,” explains Marie.
“But an American medium (54-58ins round) is more than large enough for the average Irish home.”
Slim or Pencil trees are best for for small-space living while foliage-free birch trees offer a contemporary, unobtrusive look.
Tip count is a bit like thread count, a higher number signifing better bushy density. Newlands’ most popular tree is a Douglas fir with a 1867 tip count, priced at €275. That might sound pricey – but a good fake will last 15 to 20 years, a fraction of the cost of buying real every year.
Fantastic plastic and hooks versus hinges
Artificial trees are made using two types of plastic: PVC and PE.
“The main difference in materials is in how the trees look,” explains Barry Doyle, co-owner of Arboretum Home and Garden Heaven in Co Carlow (arboretum.ie).
“PVC needles are attached to the fake tree branches using wires. PE fake trees are fabricated, so both the needles and the branches better resemble those of a real tree.”
Hinged branches are permanently attached and easier to fluff out. Hook-in branches tend to be cheaper but involve more work matching colour-coded, different-sized branches to joints in a central ‘trunk’ which doesn’t look as realistic.
Marie recommends fluffing out a hinged tree from the bottom up, to get the best effect. “It’s a bit like in a hairdressers when they pin your hair up on the top to dry underneath,” she explains.
“Bring out the bottom branches arranging them with two out and one up to give the fullest effect before releasing the next layer up.”
Pre-lit and accents
The fear with pre-lit trees in the past was that if one bulb went out then so did all the others.
“The way to avoid this is get a pre-lit tree with LED lights or one with burn-out protection,” says Barry.
LED lights don’t get hot so are less of a fire risk and also cut down on wires, adapters and tangled fairy light angst, they also use less energy and last longer.
Many trees now include ‘accents’ of fake snow, berries and cones. These trees don’t need as much decorating, but bear in mind you might not want to look at a dinstinctive tree every year.
Doctors reveal what different illnesses SMELL like
- Prince Andrew called his ‘victim’ Virginia Roberts ‘a very sick girl’ days after she described her abuse at hands of Royal’s paedophile friend Jeffrey Epstein
- X Factor host Dermot O’Leary reveals he is expecting his first child with wife Dee Koppang… as she debuts her baby bump at BAFTA nominees party
- Pamela Anderson SPLITS from her movie producer husband Jon Peters after only 12 DAYS of marriage as the couple ‘take some time apart to re-evaluate’
- Meet the new Casa Amor Love Islanders! A pageant queen, a butler in the buff and three models… the ‘sexiest singletons yet’ set to arrive (and almost ALL of the girls have their eye on Luke M)
- Caprice Bourret ‘QUITS Dancing On Ice after struggling with split from partner Hamish Gaman’.. after he cryptically claimed ‘the truth will out’
- Roxanne Pallett’s honeymoon dreams are extinguished as her fireman husband Jason Carrion is called into work… after the couple married in secret
- Katie Price RETURNS to rehab as she is spotted outside The Priory… just days after returning from visiting terminally ill mum Amy in Spain
- Lily Allen looks chic in a green and blue lace gown as she and beau David Harbour lead the stars at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- How to be the best version of YOU: Top 10 solutions to health and wellbeing problems that will leave you feeling AND looking good Ad Feature
- BAFTAs 2020: Florence Pugh wows in a red mini dress as she joins Little Women co-stars Saoirse Ronan and Laura Dern at a Nominees Party ahead of glamorous ceremony
- ‘Mrs Jourdan Dunn Hamilton!’ Model reveals she’s ENGAGED to her mystery ‘life partner’ as she shares a glimpse of her dazzling £22k diamond ring
- The Crown: Olivia Colman portrays a giddy Queen Elizabeth II as she joins Tobias Menzies to film Princess Anne’s show jumping scenes for season four
- Guns N’ Roses pays tribute to Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna and dedicates performance to the victims of the helicopter crash at the Bud Light Super Bowl Fest
- The Masked Singer: Unicorn is revealed to be The Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears and Duck is Britpop legend Skin in DOUBLE vote-off
- Madonna, 61, leaves her concert in London after apologising to fans for cancelling more shows and revealing she’s doing six hours of rehab a day
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl shares rare insight into life at home with son Bear, 2, as she reveals he will already be copying one of her act’s moves
- Lily-Rose Depp looks effortlessly chic as she dazzles in a sheer gold sequinned dress at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Chic
- Claire Foy stuns in a plunging black silk jumpsuit as she joins Game Of Thrones star Emilia Clarke at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Boris Johnson set for star-studded wedding day amid whispers new BFF Georgia ‘Toff’ Toffolo is secretly engaged to millionaire aristocrat
- BAFTAs 2020: Joaquin Phoenix looks dapper in a tailored suit as he joins his Joker co-star Zazie Beetz at a Nominees Party ahead of event
- Gemma Arterton oozes sartorial chic in a fitted corset top and culottes as she arrives for Chanel’s BAFTAs 2020 pre-party
- Can glycolic acid give you brighter, smoother skin in just seven days? Meet the supercharged treatment that delivers professional results at home Ad Feature
- Hugh Grant, 59, is every bit the gentleman in a dapper ensemble as he arrives with wife Anna Eberstein, 36, for Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs party
- Jodie Turner-Smith is having a girl! Actress accidentally lets the gender slip on The Graham Norton Show
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Is Jude Law, proud dad of one of this country’s most sought-after young models, about to score a six?
- Princess Eugenie dons a chic printed shirt as she heads to the hairdressers… amid claims her sister Beatrice will ‘marry in London’
- Helen McCrory, 51, wows in a metallic bronze feathered dress as she joins husband Damian Lewis, 48, at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- ‘I’ve got nothing to lose’: Watch Blake Lively transform from girl next door into deadly assassin in her toughest role to date Ad Feature
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Catherine Zeta Jones shows off Celtic genes to visitors at her £4million mansion with Welsh trinkets
- Julianne Hough and her husband Brooks Laich share a laugh as they step out for breakfast together… amid rumours of their separation
- Kate Ferdinand breaks down in tears while Rio insists there’s ‘no manual to become a stepmum’ in teaser for stepfamily documentary
- TALK OF THE TOWN: He may not like blenders, but he’s not averse to mixing up his love life! Gavin Rossdale spotted with mystery blonde after splitting with Russian playboy model girlfriend over £1,000 blender
- Ciara hides her baby bump under textured silver blazer dress as she leads the pack of celebrities and athletes at the NFL Honors in Miami
- ‘Rude and downright embarrassing’: Jim Carrey is BLASTED by fans for joke implying Margot Robbie’s successful career is thanks to her looks
- Katie Holmes and daughter Suri Cruise bundle up in cosy puffer jackets as they enjoy a mother and daughter day out in NYC
- The 1975 cancel Laneway gig after singer Matt Healy is hospitalised and ‘too weak’ to play after coming down with a ‘serious sickness’
- Love Island’s Shaughna Phillips fails to impress MIC star Sam Thompson in VERY awkward Celebs Go Dating clip… a year before her villa stint
- Jennifer Lopez shows off her stunning abs while rehearsing for her Super Bowl halftime performance… after Bad Bunny is added to the lineup
- Off for a spin, ma’am? The Queen gets behind the wheel of her Range Rover as he prepares to end her annual Sandringham stay
- Sienna Miller, 38, gets engaged for the third time to 29-year-old toyboy Lucas Zwirner… but seems shy about showing off her ring
- BAFTA-winning Brits: From beloved drama Educating Rita to scene-stealing shows like Broadchurch and Happy Valley, the nominees for Britain’s best-loved shows are… Ad Feature
- Prince Andrew, the world is watching: Four of Jeffrey Epstein’s victims write an open letter to the Duke urging him to talk to the FBI for the sake of ‘your daughters’
- Mick Jagger seduced me when I was 15: Actress Rae Dawn reveals how she spent night with Rolling Stone when she was underage and he was married to Bianca
- Victoria Beckham, 45, bears an uncanny resemblance to son Romeo, 17, as she shares sweet throwback snap of her younger self
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl’s group The Queens and Todrick’s commercial act Ryan are the FIRST to be voted off
- Demi Lovato leaves Miami nightclub with a mystery man at 6AM… ahead of Sundays Super Bowl performance
- Ed Sheeran looks disappointed as he and wife Cherry Seaborn watch their beloved football team Ipswich Town lose 4-1 to Peterborough United
- Sarah Michelle Gellar thanks a friend for being the inadvertent reason she’s spent 20 years with her beloved husband Freddie Prinze Jr.
- ‘I was such a fraud!’: Newly-unearthed clip shows the moment Meghan Markle admits she fibbed to casting directors about being in an actor’s union so she could land a part
- ELIZABETH DAY: Andrew’s cancer ‘joke’ was bad enough… but it’s timing just days after pictures emerged of him arm-in-arm with Virginia Roberts made it even worse
- Christine McGuinness is casual in a cosy pink fur jacket as she arrives in Manchester… after urging Strictly Come Dancing bosses to sign her up
- Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill, 64, dies two months after finishing tour as band pay tribute to ‘genius’ who was ‘one of the best’
- Lizzo rocks a white swimsuit for yacht day and twerk competition in Miami with bikini-clad friends ahead of Super Bowl LIV Work it
- Kimberley Garner flaunts her incredible figure in a plunging blue thong swimsuit as she takes a dip in the sea during downtime in Miami
- Love Island: Latest Casa Amor bombshell REVEALED as ripped, bikini-loving events manager Natalia Zoppa, 20, from Manchester
- Gabrielle Union flaunts her fabulous legs as she dances in the rain during Miami photoshoot
- Post Malone spills $50k cash as he hits Miami nightclub after Super Bowl weekend performance
- Revealed: Prince Andrew made sick ‘gag’ about breast cancer that is ‘too offensive to be repeated’ in boorish texts to his friend Jonathan Rowland
- Rita Ora delightedly unveils her new ‘Zog’ neck tattoo… as she reveals the Albanian word is the pet name given to her by beloved mum Vera
- Kylie Jenner says she and Stormi were ‘meant for each other’ as she shares tender throwbacks in tribute to her daughter’s second birthday
- Una Healy poses in rare loved-up snap with beau David Breen before impressing fans by speaking Swahili as they continue sun-soaked Zanzibar holiday
- Selena Gomez continues to move on from ’emotionally abusive’ relationship with Justin Bieber as she packs away bikes they rode during brief reunion
- Nicki Minaj will earn $125K to host a post-Super Bowl party… as stars cash in big on the lavish Miami football festivities Party
- Feel free to finally try a sip of alcohol’: Kate Beckinsale wishes look-alike daughter Lily a happy 21st birthday
- Montana Brown shows ex Elliott Reeder what he’s missing as she shares SIZZLING bikini-clad selfie
- Jade Thirlwall sends Little Mix fans wild after posting a cryptic snap of herself recording vocals in the studio as she teases a new sixth album
- Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio puts her bump on display as she poses completely nude during glamorous desert photo shoot
- Myleene Klass looks effortlessly chic as she rocks a stylish fedora and trench coat for solo commute to her radio duties in London
- Cameron Diaz keeps it casual in a cardigan as she hits up a facial spa after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix last month
- Love Island’s Casa Amor FIRST LOOK: The relationship-testing second villa is revealed ahead of the arrival of a new batch of sexy singletons
- Aretha Franklin’s niece relinquishes role as singer’s executor due to ongoing ‘rift in the family’
- Rachel Lindsay and LaLa Anthony indulge in fast food treats at Bootsy On The Water Party With McDonald’s And Post Malone
- Friends of US attorney who slammed Prince Andrew say he’ll ‘ruthlessly pursue all leads’ in Jeffrey Epstein probe – as he’s compared to Chuck Rhoades from Billions
- Justin Bieber mourns the loss of Kobe Bryant with $1200 tribute art to the basketball legend
- ‘Wedding throwback!’ Kate Ferdinand fangirls as she attends Ashanti concert in London… five months after husband Rio surprised her with the R&B icon at their Turkey nuptials
- Kobe Bryant’s prom date Brandy says she’ll ‘never understand’ his death as she offers her condolences nearly a week after loss of the NBA All-Star and his daughter Gianna, 13
- Diddy suits up in classic black as he and others pay tribute to Kobe Bryant during Shaq’s Funhouse party for Super Bowl weekend
- Love Island’s Molly-Mae Hague looks sensational as she models several different looks while shooting her latest clothing collection in LA
- Rodrigo Alves showcases the results of her latest surgery in a busty pink sequinned dress as she steps out in Istanbul
- Star Wars: Phantom Menace actor Jake Lloyd who starred as young Anakin Skywalker is struggling with paranoid schizophrenia, his mother says
- Piers Morgan blasts BBC’s Horrible Histories children’s show for ‘trashing Britain’ with Brexit-themed song
- Harry Styles CANCELS pre-Super Bowl show in Florida due to severe storm warnings… as heartbroken fans hit out at event organisers for poor safety conditions amid shock evacuation
- Fern Britton and Phil Vickery ‘often weren’t on speaking terms and their recent separation has been on the cards for years’… following the death of the TV star’s father Tony
- Tamara Ecclestone beams as she hits the ski slopes with her Jay and Sophia… after being forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses
- Emily Atack and Jack Fincham ‘caught KISSING at the NTAs and couldn’t keep their hands off each other’… days after the Love Island star became a new dad
- DOI’s Caprice Bourret displays painful injuries from training with new pro Oscar Peter… just hours after ex- skating partner Hamish Gaman insisted ‘he’s not okay’ amid bitter split
- Jim Carrey reveals he WOULD be happy to portray The Mask again but only if a ‘crazy visionary filmmaker’ was making a sequel
- Declan Donnelly praises Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick for saving his beloved daschund Rocky’s life after he was savaged by a fox Pet dog
- Cheryl gets to work alongside her fellow Greatest Dancer captains… with stunning new mum Alesha Dixon getting her dancing shoes back on
- Frankie Essex showcases her one stone weight loss in a form-fitting black mini dress as she enjoys a night out in London
- ‘I’m not okay:’ Dancing On Ice’s Hamish Gaman insists the ‘truth will come out’ amid THAT Caprice Bourret split… as he finally breaks his silence
- Michelle Heaton unveils her new wrist inking after adding a simple ‘M’ to her tattoo collection during Bali trip… following her hospitalisation for ‘severe dehydration’
- Love Island’s Sophie and Mike are branded ‘SNAKES’ by fans after they ‘tactically’ vote for Siannise and Luke in brutal compatibility task… leaving them at risk of being DUMPED
- Love Island: Three models heading into Casa Amor are revealed… as bosses hope for fireworks as the Islanders are faced with temptation
- Nathalie Emmanuel cuts a quirky figure in a graphic tee and floaty skirt as she joins stars at Fast and Furious Road to F9 concert
- Christine McGuinness looks incredible in a VERY busty scarlet red dress for glam appearance at awards bash in Ireland Wow
- Kate Beckinsale, 46, risks a wardrobe malfunction in a VERY short PVC skirt with a feathered coat following Hollywood night out
- Gary Kemp, 60, cuts a dapper figure as he enjoys date night with wife Lauren Barber, 42… after admitting he’s ‘fighting’ for a Spandau Ballet reunion
- Jessica Biel shares gushing birthday message to Justin Timberlake after marriage was rocked by his PDA scandal: ‘You somehow grow up without growing old’
- Jenna Dewan floats in a bath and covers her bump in lace for breathtaking maternity photos…weeks before her due date Stunning
- Best-selling author of more than 50 mystery novels and ‘queen of suspense’ Mary Higgins Clark dies at 92 Tragic
- Love Island’s Chloe Crowhurst puts on a busty display in a green mini dress as she enjoys girls’ night out
- Oh, baby! Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio shows off her burgeoning bump in a tight jumpsuit as she poses in the snow
- Emma Roberts opts for a risqué look as she goes braless in sexy black top with flared jeans for low-key LA dinner
- Taylor Swift reveals ‘there’s a part of me that’s definitely not ready to have kids’ in new doco… where she sparks engagement rumors with Joe Alwyn
- Ciara dazzles in black sequins as Russell Wilson puts on a dapper display for date night in Miami… after announcing third pregnancy
- Khloe Kardashian enjoys a cheerful morning with True in $12,500 playhouse that’s just like the one Kylie Jenner bought for Stormi
- Vanessa Bryant posts heartbreaking message honoring Kobe and Gianna after a tearful LeBron James and grieving LA Lakers paid tribute to them at their first game since the NBA legend died in a helicopter crash
- Jasmine Sanders, Kate Bock and Danielle Herrington stun at Super Bowl party… but ‘disappointed’ Harry Styles has to call off his performance due to ‘a severe storm’
- Megan Thee Stallion serves body in double denim as she goes on Chanel shopping spree in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Tamara Ecclestone forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses… one month after her home was hit by a £50million raid
- Meghan Markle doesn’t come close to Wallis Simpson ‘in terms of style and sophistication’, says Edward VIII’s former secretary
- Terry Crews apologizes to Gabrielle Union for ‘invalidating’ her experiences of racism and sexism on AGT set: ‘I should have at the very least understood’
- Taylor Swift accepts Nikki Glaser’s apology after the comedian joked that she was ‘too skinny’ in her Netflix documentary Miss Americana
- Chrissy Teigen tries to get daughter Luna to watch a kissing scene in It Takes Two much to the toddler’s disapproval
- Police arrest woman, 47, and a man, 21, over £50m burglary at Tamara Ecclestone’s £70m Kensington home – as two other suspects remain in custody
- Dakota Johnson makes a hilarious surprise cameo as St. Vincent’s girlfriend in the Sundance film The Nowhere Inn
- ‘Love you endlessly’: Rebecca Judd pens a heartwarming tribute to her daughter Billie on her sixth birthday and shares sweet throwback snaps from when she was a newborn
- Rihanna proves to be her own best advertisement as she strips down to show off the latest Savage X Fenty collection Raunchy
- Kanye West looks glum while leaving his Calabasas office just days before his Superbowl Sunday Service in Miami
- Rebel Wilson reveals she was sexually harassed… and says she once had a STALKER who planned to lock her on his rural Victorian farm until she ‘loved him’
- Debi Mazar says her best friend Madonna’s toyboy Ahlamalik Williams, 25, is ‘lovely’ and ‘sweet’
- Rugged up royal! Crown Princess Mary of Denmark cuts a cosy figure in a turtleneck sweater and beige skirt as she attends the Women’s Board Award event in Copenhagen
- Reese Witherspoon cuts a business chic look in khaki blazer and leopard heels as she gets her hair done in Beverly Hills
- Dog the Bounty Hunter’s show Dog’s Most Wanted cancelled after one season…after he proposed to new girlfriend seven months after wife’s death
- Cameron Diaz is wintertime chic in flowing knit turtleneck as she steps out in Santa Monica after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix
- Nick Lachey chats on his phone while in Miami for the Super Bowl…as he’s seen for the first time since ex Jessica Simpson discussed marriage
- Charlie Hunnam picks up flowers in Los Angeles after revealing he ‘really hurt’ girlfriend’s feelings by saying he is ‘indifferent’ to marriage
- Kate Upton puts on a busty display in a stunning yellow suit as she arrives in Miami ahead of the Super Bowl
- Retro rocker! 5 Seconds of Summer drummer Ashton Irwin looks effortlessly cool in a black leather jacket as he relaxes at a Los Angeles cafe
- Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli claim prosecutors HID college admissions scandal evidence which ‘proves they didn’t know their money was being used as a bribe’
- ‘Dear diary, I’ve lost my implants… and found love’: Strictly’s Shirley Ballas recounts the rollercoaster journey that saw her back on TV just FOUR days after surgery
- Cardi B rocks skintight ruched purple dress on the Road to F9 concert red carpet in Miami… before sporting a low-cut jumpsuit for her performance
- Nikki Bella bares her baby bump while out with fiancé Artem Chigvintsev… after Brie Bella revealed they didn’t talk for a week after pregnancy reveal
- Sofia Richie flaunts her taut midriff in chic cropped turtleneck as she carries a script around Beverly Hills
- Drew Barrymore brings California chic to New York City with turquoise beads and orange shades
- Kylie Minogue and Naomi Watts voice their support for victims and firefighters amid the Australian bushfire crisis after attending a benefit dinner in NYC
- Love Island fans label Rebecca ‘rude’ after she REFUSES to eat the avocado on toast Wallace made for her… as she says he needs to ‘at least get it right’
- Imelda Staunton will be The Crown’s last Queen and the show will END after season five depicts the Royals in the early 21st century – which means Megxit will not make it into show
- Katie McGlynn to become face of online betting company Mecca Bingo as she lands first job after quitting Coronation Street New role
- Love Island’s Maura Higgins cancels Dancing On Ice training after falling ill and fears she may be forced to pull out of Sunday’s live show
- Fresh-faced Cara Santana dons teddy coat in LA… as philandering fiancé Jesse Metcalfe works with Bruce Willis
- Kobe Bryant’s grieving mother is seen for first time since her son and granddaughter died in chopper crash, as she emerges from her Las Vegas home
- LeBron James reveals ‘Mamba 4 Life’ tattoo in tribute to late teammate Kobe Bryant after the basketball legend’s tragic helicopter crash
- RICHARD EDEN: No Windsor wedding for Princess Beatrice… but Queen offers reception at Buckingham Palace in morale boost amid Prince Andrew scandal
- Jeff Lewis apologizes to Asian-Americans for ‘racist’ comments about coronavirus outbreak: ‘I’m very sorry for crossing the line’
- ‘I’m old’: The Masked Singer’s Jonathan Ross insists Natalie Cole gaffe was a ‘genuine mistake’ as he jokes that fellow judge Rita Ora is ‘like working with a child’
- Madonna apologises as she’s forced to cancel MORE shows on doctors’ orders and reveals she does SIX HOURS of rehab every day due to her serious injury
- Louise Redknapp ‘rules out Peppa Pig collaboration amid £1m royalties row after songwriters claim children’s TV show ripped off her 1996 hit song Naked’
- Ex TOWIE star Jasmin Walia showcases her washboard abs in a TINY white crop top as she steps out for coffee in West Hollywood Work it
- Pregnant Jodie Turner-Smith shows off her bare baby bump in a black crop top and trousers while backstage on The Graham Norton Show
- Love Island CONFIRMS the return of Casa Amor as fans fear for Callum and Shaughna’s relationship… after she almost lets slip that she LOVES him
- Laura Dern and Joaquin Phoenix look stylish as they lead the stars at the Academy Nominees Reception in London ahead of The Oscars 2020
- Bella Hadid cuts a casual figure as she shows her love for animals and playfully pets a dog while out with pals in NYC
- Priyanka Chopra looks incredible as she flaunts her cleavage in a plunging patterned dress at Super Bowl event in Miami Wow
- Heidi Klum almost spills out of her sexy Versace dress in a VERY steamy behind-the-scenes video from a photoshoot Risky
- Showing Miley what she’s missing! Liam Hemsworth flaunts his buff physique and bulging biceps while leaving a gym session in LA… after finalising his divorce from Cyrus
- Fleur East will ‘no longer take things for granted’ after ‘reality check’ from Syco axe and a friend’s suicide pushed her to re-evaluate her music career
- Liam Gallagher releases music video for single Once featuring Eric Cantona as a wine swilling king… as he brands estranged brother Noel’s new track a ‘BORING SNOOZER’
- Louis Tomlinson is swarmed by fans as he leaves his hotel in New York… after claiming he still ‘f***ing loves’ his One Direction band mates
- The Jonas Brothers: Joe takes to the stage with Nick and Kevin at the Dublin leg of their Happiness Begins tour… after announcing Las Vegas residency
- Ashanti storms the stage for London gig in knee-high leather boots and a sizzling flame-printed two-piece as she delivers energetic performance
- Elon Musk’s girlfriend Grimes confirms pregnancy as she admits to having ‘complications’ and struggling through her second trimester
- ‘Baby love!’: Kim Kardashian shares a sweet photo of her son Saint kissing little brother Psalm on the head as daughter Chicago looks on
- EXCLUSIVE: Malia Obama takes a break from her studies at Harvard as she puffs on a cigarette with her British boyfriend Rory Farquharson
- Imogen Thomas stuns in plunging black blazer dress as she continues to flaunt her January weight loss… after vowing she’s still got ‘more to lose’
- Hollyoaks star Jennifer Metcalfe stuns in sequin trousers and a plunge bodysuit as she joins Love Island’s Hayley Hughes at fashion show in Liverpool
- Chris Hughes likes tweets calling him a ‘nice guy’ as fans jump to his defence following his shocking NTAs brawl Shock
- ‘It’s worse than in here!’: Eamonn Holmes takes a swipe at This Morning ‘feud’ during a play fight between the Loose Women panellists
- TREVOR PHILLIPS: Racist? My friend Alastair Stewart fought with me against the National Front when we were student activists
- ITN bosses are ‘stung and surprised’ by backlash against Alastair Stewart being forced out over race row, say insiders
- Star Wars actor Alan Harris who portrayed Bossk in The Empire Strikes Back dies aged 81
- ‘That would be silly!’ I’m A Celeb’s Charlotte Crosby shuts down wedding talk with Ryan Gallagher but admits he’s everything ‘she wants in a man’
- AMANDA PLATELL: Why Fern Britton’s separation with TV chef Phil Vickery could be a recipe for regret
- Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade invite DeAndre Arnold to the Oscars after he was kept from walking at graduation because of his dreadlocks
- Lizzo toasts to her Grammy wins by sipping on champagne and twerking in a sexy pink swimsuit in Miami ahead of Super Bowl celebrations
- Olivia Culpo flaunts her rock-hard abs and underboob in a pink crop top and matching mini skirt for a day at the beach in Miami
- ‘When I say “kissy, kissy”, they offer up their snouts’: Chris Tarrant’s ex-wife Ingrid reveals how she swapped her husband for three PIGS… who roam freely
- ‘They were really nasty’: James Corden slams Hollyoaks for trying to ‘fat shame’ his character… after calling brief stint on the soap ‘hell on earth’
- Taylor Swift sparks engagement speculation after she’s seen rocking huge ring in her new documentary Miss Americana
- Nikki Glaser issues apology after old soundbite referencing Taylor Swift’s weight and ‘model’ friend choices is featured in Netflix documentary Miss Americana
- Robert De Niro in The Irishman may have beaten Madonna’s Evita record for most costume changes in one film Impressive
You Notice Cloudiness
Consider it a tip-off to the presence of bacteria that could indicate a urinary tract infection (UTI). “The cloudiness comes from the excretion of bacteria and leukocytes, which are cells that fight infection,” says Phillips. Even if you otherwise feel fine and have no UTI symptoms, pay attention to this; it could be the only sign that an infection has taken hold.
RELATED: Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Public Toilets
There’s a Pink or Reddish Color
Though red-purple hued veggies like beets and blackberries might be the culprit, the color can also indicate the presence of blood in your pee—not a good sign. That’s a symptom of a UTI, kidney stones, or in rare cases even bladder or kidney cancer, says Phillips.
It Smells Foul
Urine isn’t supposed to smell like roses, but if the stench is pretty foul (think: rotten fruit or the bottom of a pond), it’s your bladder’s alarming way of telling you there’s an infection, says Phillips. And like cloudy urine, it could be the only clue, so don’t blow it off.
RELATED: 3 Signs You’re Dehydrated
You Notice a Burning Sensation
Stinging or even pain while you pee can be caused by a UTI or an STD such as chlamydia or gonorrhea, says Phillips.
That Feeling That You’ve Gotta Go Just Won’t Go Away
This is a classic sign of a UTI, which causes the lining of your bladder and urethra to become inflamed and irritated, leaving you with the feeling of constantly having to urinate, says Phillips. It can also be a symptom of interstitial cystitis, a hard-to-diagnose condition that results in chronic bladder pressure or pain.
You’re Peeing Way More Than You Used To
You might be pregnant. Seriously, it’s an early sign triggered by hormonal changes that speed up blood flow from the kidneys, says Phillips. If you’re positively sure you’re not expecting and you also can’t blame it on an uptick in your consumption of alcohol or caffeinated drinks (caffeine and alcohol can make you pee more frequently), check in with your M.D. This could also signal diabetes or a tumor.
RELATED: 7 At-Home Fixes For Everyday Skin Problems
One of those fascinating tidbits of historical “fact” that circulates perennially on the Internet holds that women in ancient Rome drank turpentine, a toxic solvent (better known as paint thinner) distilled from the resin of pine trees, to make their urine smell “like roses.”
Here’s an example from Facebook:
This specimen is from Twitter:
In Ancient Rome, women would drink turpentine to make their urine smell sweet like roses https://t.co/uH5p8ooymp
— Facts Zone (@facts_zone) April 8, 2016
We also find the claim set forth in a 30 May 2013 article by natural health entrepreneur Joseph Mercola explaining what, according to him, the color and odor of one’s urine says about the state of one’s health:
If you’re a woman from ancient Rome and your urine smells like roses, you’ve probably been drinking turpentine. This is a high price to pay to woo your suitor with pleasant-smelling pee, as turpentine may kill you!
A version posted in article entitled “Bizarre Facts About … Pee!” on the web site Neatorama.com in 2010 repeated the claim that it was a practice indulged in by women, but that its origin wasn’t necessarily so ancient:
Asparagus isn’t the only thing some people smell in urine. Drinking turpentine is said to make urine smell like a rose, so hundreds of years ago, women would drink turpentine so their piss would smell sweet.
Despite the fact that no one ever cites a source for it, the claim has a plausible enough ring. As most people are aware, the things we consume can directly affect the appearance and smell of our urine. Two of the most common examples, as noted by the Harvard Medical School web site, are beets and asparagus:
Beets, blackberries, and rhubarb can temporarily turn urine pink or red, which can be alarming, because it may be mistaken for blood. The pigment that gives beets their deep magenta color is stable only at certain levels of stomach acidity and is usually too faint to show up in most people’s urine. The phenomenon — dubbed “beeturia” — occurs in only about 10% to 14% of the population. Even if you’re in that select group, eating beets won’t always have a visible effect, because the acidity of your stomach (and therefore your urine) depends on when you ate and what else you ate. Rhubarb can also turn urine dark brown or tea-colored, as can fava beans and aloe. Carrots, carrot juice, and vitamin C can color urine orange, and B vitamins can turn it a fluorescent yellow-green.
Asparagus sometimes gives urine a greenish tinge and a distinctive smell, said to resemble rotting cabbage. The cause of this smell is a matter for speculation. Some blame it on the sulfur-containing fertilizers used on asparagus plants (there is no record of the vegetable causing urine odor before such fertilizers were introduced). Others suggest that only people who carry a particular gene break down the sulfur-containing proteins in asparagus and release the odor. Still another view is that the smell of everyone’s urine undergoes a change, but only some of us notice it.
It’s not a vast leap from beets and asparagus to claiming that drinking turpentine imparts a floral aroma (and some say a pink tinge) to the urine. As a matter of fact we find that confirmed in any number of legitimate medical texts — except the specific floral scent they name, oddly, is never that of roses, but rather of violets!
For example, the Toxnet database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM) states that “Turpentine exposure can produce the odor of violets in urine.” A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for gum spirits of turpentine lists “painful urination with a violet-like odor of the urine” as a health effect of acute exposure to turpentine via inhalation. The definition of “turpentine poisoning” on Drugs.com states that “symptoms include hematuria, albuminuria, and coma; the urine may have an odor of violets.”
This characteristic of turpentine has been recognized by medical practitioners for centuries, in large part, no doubt, because turpentine itself was once regarded as a medicine. The 1911 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica lists turpentine’s “pharmacological” qualities, among which are: “The drug is excreted partly by the bronchi — which it tends to disinfect — and partly in the urine, which it causes to smell of violets.”
Abraham Rees’ The Cyclopaedia: Or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and Literature, published in 1819, contains a discussion about which of several varieties of turpentine works best as a diuretic, noting that all of them “seem to act in a peculiar manner on the urinary organs, impregnating the water with a violet smell, even when applied externally, particularly the Venice sort.”
“A few Stems of Asparagus eaten, shall give our Urine a disagreable Odour,” wrote Benjamin Franklin in a satirical 1781 letter to the Royal Academy of Brussels, “and a Pill of Turpentine no bigger than a Pea, shall bestow on it the pleasing Smell of Violets. And why should it be thought more impossible in Nature, to find Means of making a Perfume of our Wind than of our Water?”
The 1749 edition of Pharmacopoeia Universalis: or, A New Universal English Dispensatory by Robert James notes that turpentine sourced from Cyprus, in particular, “gives a Violet Smell to the Urine, even when given in a clyster. It is an excellent Diuretic, and very proper in Ulcers of the Kidneys, Bladder and Uterus.”
What we not been able to find, however, is any record of the use of turpentine by women in ancient Rome (or anywhere else thereafter) specifically to lend their urine a floral scent. While it’s certainly possible that this was the case, no historical sources have been cited by those making the claim.
Snopes.com Since 1994
Help Supercharge Snopes For 2020
We have big plans. We need your help.