October 22nd, 2015
I promised a tutorial for those that own my DIY Fortune Teller Machine paper kit from “Toys For Dolls” series… and finally here it is!
So have fun, and even if it’s not perfect, Good Job! Perfect is overrated (;
ok, let’s begin!
Your paper kit looks like that photo 1 just below…
So first you need to do is to carefully cut out all the parts – like on photo 2
(3) To cut out straight sides really quickly, you can use a ruler and a very sharp cutting knife.. be sure to press the ruler to the surface so that nothing moves while you cut.
(4) Use sharp scissors to cut out curvy lines.
Cutting out internal shapes is a bit more challenging. For those good with x-acto knife – you can use it to cut the whole shape at once.
(5) But if you preffer scissors, punch a hole in the middle of the area that is to be removed.
(6) Make it bigger – it will allow you to use the scissors to cut the shape from inside.
(7) be sure to cut free the “top” on which the fortuna doll will be glued onto.
(8) Best tools for folding are those thin blunt ones… like.. pen that is no longer working.. or even scissors with blunt tip.
(9) So turn the front of the Fortuneteller Box around and, using the ruler and one of those tools, push it to the surface and trace a line.
(10) Gently fold the sides and the parts with sign “glue” so that they are bent outside to create box shape.
(11) on the back part, trace the lines on the front of the design and fold the edges to the inside.
(12) the “top” folds inside but the part that holds it to the back of the “machine” folds outside.
Be sure to use a strong, fast drying glue. I like UHU.
(13 -14) Glue the bottom part of the back to the inside of the bottom part of the front. Be sure to hold glued parts until the connection holds really well.
(15) now connect the back of the box with the front – glued parts need to go inside as on the photo – hold for a while.
(16) Connect the rest of the parts
This one is a bit tricky… because you need to be careful to not to smudge the glue when you fold this part.
Apply glue on the thin strip that touches the back, and push it to the back of the machine and hold for 20 seconds until it’s dry.
(20) finish the box with attaching the FORTUNA banner.
(21) prepare the shape and trace the front lines with a round tip tool & a ruler (22)
(23) Fold it, put a small amount of glue on the inside end of the little square at the bottom, and glue it so that is more or less 90% – hold it for 20 seconds.
Now put a bit of glue at the bottom of the figure and press it to the “top” in our Fortune Teller Machine..
I hope you enjoyed it!
I am aware that this is my first folding kit… for sure it’s not perfect but I hope that, with your help, next ones will be better & easier to assemble.
If something is unclear, please leave a comment and I will try to explain it (: